Striped Bass -Guadalupe River Below Canyon Lake Dam

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Ulygun

Striped Bass -Guadalupe River Below Canyon Lake Dam

Post by Ulygun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

Hello all,

I've been fishing the Guad for the past few years and I was informed that the river has a good population of Striped Bass below the dam. I've never been lucky enough to catch one despite chucking monstrous streamers or minnow patterns. I would appreciate if anybody here have any insights to spots on the river below the dam.

I drive from Houston to fish this river and would like to be in parts which are known to house these Stripers and hopefully connect with one someday.

Cheers and tight lines fellas!

Zack Evans

Re: Striped Bass -Guadalupe River Below Canyon Lake Dam

Post by Zack Evans » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Last summer I spent a lot of time chasing Stripers on the Guadalupe. Without a doubt, they are my favorite fish that I've landed on the fly so far. I'm willing to share a little of what I learned last summer.

As far as location I'm not going to share any specifics. I have personally caught or seen Stripers from directly below the dam all the way down to Lake Dunlap in New Braunfels. From my observations, they prefer to live in the slow deep pools. With that said, I believe they like to move up into the faster white water to feed. Like trout, they will hold in the soft water waiting for prey to be swept by. Although there are a few good spots to wade, a float trip will greatly increase your chances.

The best time to target them is around dusk and dawn. I wouldn't get to carried away with using giant streamers. Although you might have luck with them, I've had much better success with more reasonably sized streamers such as Clousers and Lunch Money's. Lastly, I wouldn't skimp out on tackle. I've caught a couple on my 5wt, but my 8wt handled them much better. Also, there are some monstrous fish in the river. The average fish is around 20 inches, but I wouldn't want to be under gunned if one of the 20 plus pounders decided to eat!

Hope this helps good luck!

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 pm

@Zach, appreciate the info!

I will try my best to scout for them myself wading first. It would be extremely frustrating going empty handed after driving all the way from Houston. May be I'll go with a flat trip someday.

Cheers.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 01, 2017 10:05 am

These are the spots I know hold Stripers.....
The stretch from the dam down to Horseshoe Falls holds the greatest numbers, from the 306 bridge at Maricopa down about 1/3 the way around the tubers loop, from Little Ponderosa down to the Devil's Playground also holds a large number of Stripers.
Also you don't really need super big fly patterns, even for the largest ones. I'd say Matt Bennett's Lunch Money's should do just fine. The fly fishing Guadalupe Record fish ~36lb was caught on a fly smaller than the palm of your hand. And again Dawn will be your best shot most days.

Jimbo

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Mon May 01, 2017 12:16 pm

There's a good size striper in the fast water below #5. How do I know? Because I hooked a good size sunfish and it stole it! Easy meal for that guy.

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Great information here! Thanks a bunch fellas. Hope to hit the Guad sometime next weekend. Can't wait to try my luck at the stripers.

Cheers.

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Sun May 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Great information here! Thanks a bunch fellas. Hope to hit the Guad sometime next weekend. Can't wait to try my luck at the stripers.

Cheers.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am

I was fishing last Friday at #5. After releasing a nice Trout I saw a Striper about 20lbs come up out of the deep and look for it.
It was seen half-way between Barking Dog Pool and S Turn Rapids, Go get it !!!

Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 am

I've thrown every kind of rainbow-looking lure possible - including Catastic - at known striper holes on the Guadalupe, without reply.

It's been many years, but one season I was responsible for harvesting 7 stripers from Barking Dog pool (legal limits, of course).
The only way I caught them was a cats whisker on T-130 line, casting straight across, counting down and letting it swing naturally.
They were particular about colors, and all-gray was best. The best fly was size 6 4x-long stainless with large stainless bead chain.
It's also a crack-of-dawn activity, and shuts down very quickly with the sun.
I never caught a striper on a stripped fly (eventually you have to strip when it's bouncing the bottom).

Fun thing about stripers is they head downriver first, and you have to stop them and turn them before they cry uncle and come back up - Backing.

the guy I know who catches the most river stripers - Gene Ruede - uses cut-bait on the bottom.
Ron Mc

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Is cut bait allowed in the restricted artificial bait only zones?

Sorry if it posted elsewhere that this approach is GRTU and GW approved, for these areas.

PM

Mike Stand

Post by Mike Stand » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm

pontoonman wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Sorry if it posted elsewhere that this approach is GRTU and GW approved, for these areas.

PM
Yes as long you are fishing for other than trout and if catch a trout in the trophy zone on cut bait its illegal to keep it and must release it.

"Please note: Two sections of this river are subject to special harvest regulations on rainbow and brown trout. In these sections, all trout harvested must be caught on artificial lures, and the following bag and size limits are in effect: "

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/ma ... lupe.phtml

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/ac ... water=1244

TroutOutside special trout zones
For rainbow and brown trout, their hybrids and subspecies, there is no minimum length and daily bag limit = 5 trout in any combination.800 yards downstream from Canyon Dam release downstream to east bridge on Hwy 306
For rainbow and brown trout, length limit is a 12-18 inch slot. Trout 12 inches and less or 18 inches or greater in length may be retained. Daily bag = 5 trout and only one trout 18 inches or longer may be retained. Harvest of trout is by artificial lures only. See Pole and Line for special restrictions on lures in this area.From east Hwy 306 bridge crossing downstream to 2nd crossing on River Road
For rainbow and brown trout, minimum length is 18 inches and daily bag limit is one fish. Harvest of trout is by artificial lures only. See Pole and Line for special restrictions on lures in this area.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... s-for-fish
•Game and nongame fish may be taken by pole and line, except that in the Guadalupe River in Comal County starting 800 yards downstream from the Canyon Dam release and extending downstream to the second bridge crossing on River Road, rainbow and brown trout may not be retained when taken by any method except artificial lures. In this area only, artificial lures cannot contain or have attached either whole or portions, living or dead, of organisms such as fish, crayfish, insects (grubs, larvae or adults) or worms, any other animal or vegetable material, or synthetic scented materials. This does not prohibit the use of artificial lures that contain components of hair or feathers. It is an offense to possess rainbow and brown trout while fishing with any other device in that part of the Guadalupe River defined in this paragraph.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:12 pm

ShawnM wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm
pontoonman wrote:

PM
Yes as long you are fishing for other than trout and if catch a trout in the trophy zone on cut bait its illegal to keep it and must release it.

PM: It would appear that possession of 5 trout of any size is allowed even while fishing with bait within the restricted zones? That is if the 5 trout have been caught in the sections without restrictions, like within 800 yards of the dam release. This could happen when drifting down and fishing on a floating device launched at the dam, for example. Catch and release only for me, but some of my friends are meat fishermen that use both bait and artificial.
Thanks for the info.

PM

Mike Stand

Post by Mike Stand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am

double post
Last edited by Mike Stand on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Stand

Post by Mike Stand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am

double post
Last edited by Mike Stand on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Stand

Post by Mike Stand » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 am

pontoonman wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:12 pm
ShawnM wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:47 pm
pontoonman wrote:

PM

PM: It would appear that possession of 5 trout of any size is allowed even while fishing with bait within the restricted zones? That is if the 5 trout have been caught in the sections without restrictions, like within 800 yards of the dam release. This could happen when drifting down and fishing on a floating device launched at the dam, for example. Catch and release only for me, but some of my friends are meat fishermen that use both bait and artificial.
Thanks for the info.

PM

Why did you edit my quote in your reply to add words that I never said? That's a shitty thing to do!! The level of douchebaggery by people on this forum and in GRTU & LAP is pretty sad!
"PM: It would appear that possession of 5 trout of any size is allowed even while fishing with bait within the restricted zones? That is if the 5 trout have been caught in the sections without restrictions, like within 800 yards of the dam release. This could happen when drifting down and fishing on a floating device launched at the dam, for example. Catch and release only for me, but some of my friends are meat fishermen that use both bait and artificial."
Last edited by Mike Stand on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.