White Bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

bankerag02

White Bass

Post by bankerag02 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:01 am

Anyone had any luck with white bass on the Llano or at Colorado Bend?

Jimbo Roberts

Re: White Bass

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:13 am

I've heard at Colorado Bend the males were there a couple of weeks ago so it should be in full swing now.
And Canyon Lake upstream of Rebecca creek has also been happening.

Jimbo

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:27 pm

Anybody know of good wading access upstream of Rebecca Creek? Looks like a whole lot of private property over there. I will be driving in from Houston and would like to taste some of the White Bass action, unless pointed towards some good wading spots around Houston.

Tight lines!

jblidell

Post by jblidell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Ulygun wrote:Anybody know of good wading access upstream of Rebecca Creek? Looks like a whole lot of private property over there. I will be driving in from Houston and would like to taste some of the White Bass action, unless pointed towards some good wading spots around Houston.

Tight lines!
If you want to go out in Houston, I suggest going on a guided trip with Danny Scorborough from houstonflyfishing.com. If not, check out peach creek going into lake houston. Lots of public access

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 pm

No public wading access at Rebecca creek since the drought ended years back -when it was possible to walk in the ankle deep creek water. Floating with a tube would be least troublesome and least expensive way to get to the fish without trespass, followed by a kayak. The water is fast after the last rain, so probaby dropping at the bridge and out at br #11 is a good plan. Almost impossible to power back upstream against the current back to the bridge.

PM

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks a ton for the information fellas, much appreciated!

How about some stipers around Houston? Any wade-able waters close by?

Cheers..........

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 am

Anybody run into white bass lately? My brother-in-law is visiting and I'd like to put him onto some white bass.

weightforward

Post by weightforward » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:10 am

The Run is Done. Reports were mostly spotty last month (low numbers), haven't heard any reports in the last two weeks. There were a few reports of limits caught on the San Gabriel, but that was close to a month ago. There might be some late-comers with this last round of rain (??), but I'd call Sportsman's, Living Waters, or your outfitter of choice for a 2nd opinion.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 am

I would say the White Bass runs are over. You can still chase them but you will have to fall back and look for them in the lakes.
If you can find a school of White Bass in the lakes right now they will be easy to catch. After the spawn the fish are ravenous and will be trying to fatten up again. For the most part this means trolling around the mouths of creeks and main lake points staring at your sonar. Once found get just about anything with a hook down to them and you can catch a bunch.

Jimbo

pjvanek

Post by pjvanek » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:13 pm

It's still happening up here in central Texas. With every little rise or push of water we get, the fish just hang on. The great thing is that there are no crowds on the rivers anymore....but the fish are there!

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Where in Central Texas?

pjvanek

Post by pjvanek » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:29 pm

Tributaries of Lake Waco, the North and Middle Bosque rivers. These two usually hold fish until late April as long as there are rains to keep small pushes of water coming through. Last year, with the amount of water flowing, there were white bass upstream until mid May. Usually by April there are no females with eggs, but still good sized males up. The size of the fish will start to dwindle the later it gets, with pretty much only first year 8" males hanging around at the end of April. I think they are confused, and think the girls are going to come upstream again, lol.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:50 am

Thank you. I appreciate the information.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm

I had a good run using my pontoon last Saturday April 8th on shallow running lures, at Rebecca bridge area. Worked down to big rapids and back, 21 fish in 2 hours- all but 5 were 14"+ whites. Talked to a bank fisherman who said he did well in April of last year using lures, from his kayak. Flows may have the fish confused as described above, as I've never done very well with whites during this period and location before....

PM

Ulygun

Post by Ulygun » Mon May 22, 2017 12:05 pm

In my quest to catch another freshwater species, I was able to find a spot close (~2 hours of drive) from Houston on Trinity River. Caught this little guy and a buck-nasty gar! a by catch that I wasn't even expecting. I was able to land a crazy amount of white bass that day, too bad it was all catch and release.

This body of water apparently holds Stripers and the quest is still on to land one on a fly!

Until then.... tight lines and cheers.....