mentor needed

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

naylorw4502

mentor needed

Post by naylorw4502 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:51 pm

1st yr to fish GR . would someone help me to get started ? Can meet anytime . Middel of wk.would be best to avoid crowds. wadeing,rigging,and reading the river are where I need help.

LabRat

Re: mentor needed

Post by LabRat » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:36 am

Suggestion - if you are unable to find any takers to your post. consider hiring a reputable guide for a trip. Yes it costs money, and perhaps more that you want to spend. But it will shave years off of your learning curve. My first 5 trips to the Guad were completely fisheless. I learned a lot by asking questions on this forum and reading previous posts. There are also good resources online for help learning to read the water. There is no substitute however for time on the water with an experienced guide. It simply accelerated your knowledge exponentially.
Once you learn some of the basics that they can teach you, then you start bolting on additional knowledge and experience. It does take time, but as you embrace the journey and prioritize learning over catching, the catches will come naturally.
Mark Dillow

naylorw4502

Post by naylorw4502 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Mark,I did a half day float with Chris Jackson but need more insight on wadeing and reading the river.I guess I need to get Chris to do a wade trip but it cost a little more than the float.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:57 am

Chris is a good teacher. In addition you might find some books helpful. Landon Mayer has one I like called "How To Catch the Biggest Trout of Your Life". There are others out there as well that are also good. But nothing beats time on the water with a good instructor.

Enjoy the journey!
Mark Dillow

Cassio

Post by Cassio » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 am

Hang in there. Last year was my first year fly fishing on the Guadalupe and I was constantly going home skunked. After a year to read, research, and learn from others I constantly have great days on the water. Not one day have I been skunked this year. On most days I catch more fish then I caught all last season.

I highly recommend being involved in the club. Meeting other anglers, having access to the forum, trout fest, stockings, are just a few ways to gain a ton of knowledge fast.