Quiet Board

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

bankerag02

Quiet Board

Post by bankerag02 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Board looks like it has been pretty quiet lately. Has anyone else been doing any fishing?

I have been fishing the upper Guad and having good success with large sunfish in the area I fish as well as some pretty decent bass. Even hooked up with a catfish the other day.

mandyrose

Re: Quiet Board

Post by mandyrose » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:59 am

SSsshhh, be quite. You will wake everyone up.
I recommend prime assignment to you to do your make my assignment queries work and get good grades.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:48 pm

I've generally been avoiding the heat this summer here in Texas.
I did go for a short hop into northern New Mexico for 10 days.
Unfortunately the Santa Fe N.F. was closed just before leaving because of fire potential. This is where I would have concentrated my fishing exploits. That left the Carson N.F. and The Conejos in southern Colorado. Many of the small streams I would have fished in those areas had critically low flows. Thus I mainly fished the regular waters missing out on much of the Northern New Mexico Cutthroat possibilities. I'll be writing about it in the coming few days, so watch for those stories.

Jimbo

blanectodd

Post by blanectodd » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:07 pm

I've been avoiding the heat as well. I had a great season up until the end of April, and then had to jump on some "deferred life maintenance" before my wife and I head out on our summer road trip. We leave in less than two weeks with stops scheduled in Colorado, Wyoming, BC, Utah, and New Mexico.

Stay tuned...
Just because you like the sound of your logic, does not mean your logic is sound

joeljharvey

Post by joeljharvey » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:24 pm

The low water this year has really changed the warm water bite compared to the last few seasons, at least in my experience.

On one hand, the fish have been (and continue to be) incredibly spooky. Poppers and other top water flies have not produced the numbers or sizes of fish I've come to expect.

On the other hand, I have site fished to more really large Bass this year than the past several seasons combined. An extremely stealthy approach combined with early morning / late evening and/or cloudy days while fishing muted streamers deep has been the ticket for me.

Another thing I've noticed this year compared to previous spring/early summer seasons is that the fish seem to be much more sensitive to pressure changes associated with fronts moving in or out. I've had several days on the Llano, the Pedernales and the San Gabriel where a front has moved through and the entire river is completely turned off...not even the little guys are biting. Most of these days have also coincided with clear, sunny skies, which might be the explanation in the skinny water. Either way, I can't recall having days where the bite is that slow. Maybe it's my fishing skills and I've always just gotten lucky in the past.

There are still plenty of fish to be caught, but the action is a lot slower than normal.

Anyone else having similar experiences this year?

pav

Post by pav » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

I have caught some nice bass on the upper Guadalupe and the Medina river, i plan on hitting the nueces river tomorrow
put off everything to go flyfishing

AustinPynes

Post by AustinPynes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 am

Anyone fish the Llano lately? Wondered how she is fairing up. Historically I can always find plenty of fishing through the summer.
Licensed Professional Real Estate Inspector #23222| General Contractor
Roman Catholic Deacon
Pilot
Flyfisherman

joeljharvey

Post by joeljharvey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am

Fished the Llano this weekend. Flows were up a bit after the previous weekend's rain, but still really low. The fish are extremely skittish, but still biting if you can manage to avoid spooking them. Stealthy approach and long casts are in order. Orange streamers have been my most consistent producer this summer.

AustinPynes

Post by AustinPynes » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am

Joel

Where abouts by Llano or upstream?
Licensed Professional Real Estate Inspector #23222| General Contractor
Roman Catholic Deacon
Pilot
Flyfisherman