Asking for Advice

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Stormrider51

Asking for Advice

Post by Stormrider51 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:45 pm

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the GRTU and to fly fishing in general. My wife recently retired and we moved out to Canyon Lake. I'm a retired paramedic who made being a gunsmith into a second career. I really dislike the term "bucket list" but learning to fly fish has been something I've always wanted to do. Thanks to the good folks at Reel Fly in Sattler I'm on my way. Living in a subdivision that has its own park on the lake means that I can go practice my casting just about every day. I also signed my wife and I up for the Lease Access Program and this leads to my questions. While I fully agree with the catch and release for trout, one of my goals is to put fish in the freezer. I'm perfectly happy with perch, bass, and other "keepers" but could use some advice on where to go along the river or on the lake. I most definitely don't want to run afoul of the trout anglers. Any suggestions appreciated.

John
Last edited by Stormrider51 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pontoonman

Re: Asking for Advice

Post by pontoonman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:44 pm

When can be at least as important as where. The area on the lake side the dam and Tom Creek can be good in the Fall as well as boat ramp #11 on the upper Guad. (no trout), if you have access to a boat, kayak, tube. White bass run at Rebecca Creek rapids around December to March. Crappie reputed to be the tastiest of the area table species, maybe difficult on flys? Wife doesn't like fish odors anywhere around the house, so I don't keep caught fish for consumption. Also, I'm too lazy to fix em, easier and cheaper for us to go down to Laguna Madre restaurant for grilled cod (or other restaurants for Mahi, etc.).

PM

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:01 pm

There's been a lot of discussion about the stripers in the river. Just search for "stripers." By catching and keeping legal stripers, you accomplish three things: you have a lot of fun, you eat fresh, albeit slightly contaminated, fish, and you save trout from ending up in a predator's gullet.

Stormrider51

Post by Stormrider51 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:43 pm

My thanks to you both. Makes catching stripers sound like a good idea.

John

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:36 pm

As you'll see if you search for "stripers," they tend to hang out in the deeper pools and bite best early in the morning or late in the evening. You might start out at Barking Dog Pool (below lease access #4). I've caught them on large streamers fished deep and retrieved with a jigging action.

Stormrider51

Post by Stormrider51 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 am

Again, thanks all. Now I'm wondering about my 5 wt rod. Or more precisely, the 5 lb tippet I'm using. Guess I'll drop by the fly shop tomorrow.

John

trucha grande

Post by trucha grande » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:18 am

Brent has a great guide service, look him up he is a good guy!