The Other Fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

The Other Fishing

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Things I normally do this time of year: sign up for the new LAP season and chasing some holdover Trout in the Guadalupe at some of the upper most leases. The heavy rains in May and June wiped out the cold thermocline in the lake. Releases most of the summer have been from 68-70 degrees instead of the 50's or 60's we would expect. So even though we had the flow rates we look for the releases were too warm to fish for the Rainbows and expect them to survive till the fall.

Since coming back from the Rockies I have quietly been fishing Central Texas for Bass and Perch.
I did some outstanding Perch Jerking on the Guadalupe. Knowing the water and what you are doing you can even fish the Guadalupe tailrace and catch Perch and Bass almost exclusively. One of my favorite new flys is the Carp-it Bomb tied by Matt Bennett.
It's a good looking Damsel or Dragonfly imitation especially with those big beadchain eyes.
Normally I fish topwater first; poppers and hoppers, but this summer I have not been as successful on top as usual. I next go to fly is a streamer called a Cat's Whisker. I have one box that is dedicated to Cat's Whiskers that contains at least 50 in various sizes and colors. I saw Matt's Carp-it Bombs at the New Braunfels Fly Fishing Expo and picked up a few to try. I'm glad I did.

Back in August at the GRTU Board meeting I had a chance to fish the Pedernales River.
I tell you I never saw a bunch of middle aged men and women that would act like kids when I was growing up.
Today myself and my friends are members of the Kids Again Crew.

I started out using a foam hopper/popper and caught some Bass , but they were a bit smaller than I hoped.
Fun... but I saw some bigger Bass swimming around that I was not catching.
Having those new Carp-it Bombs in my vest I decided to give them a try.
Good Choice.....
After switching flys and techniques the Bigger Bass were coming to my hands. After struggling to land 12 in about 2 to 3 hours, the Carp-it Bomb drew them in like iron fillings to a magnet. I landed 15 in the last 1 1/2 hours and all the fish over 14" came on the Carp-it Bomb.
The Pedernales is a beautiful river.
I told myself I would return and fish the same water with just the Carp-it Bomb.

I wanted to go down to the Guadalupe.
Mainly just to check water temperatures.
It was September 3rd and the temperature coming out of the dam was 70 degrees at 3pm. Not good at all.
I fished a little and caught some good Perch.
Still I was depressed over the warm water temperatures. And now the lake must start cooling down before releases and the river temperatures start dropping. With all that swirling around in my head I needed to set GRTU stocking dates and work on getting the Browns we need, which has been much more of a problem than I would have thought, full well knowing any stocking would depend on the river cooling off first.

A couple of weeks later, I went back to the Guadalupe to do a full day's Perch jerking at Rio.
I started off below the weir and worked my way upstream.
I came for Big Perch and the day would not disappoint.
Along with the Big RedBreast Sunfish I was after I caught all the usual suspects.....
Guadalupe Bass are always a plus.....
Longears.....
Bluegills.....
And Largemouth Bass.

But I came for Big Yellow Bellies and the count rose quickly.....
Any body home?.....
You bet.....
I fished all the way to the 4th crossing.....
And caught the last big one under the bridge.....
So while the Rainbows are struggling to make it to the cooler waters coming this fall the Perch were having a great time of it.

Fast forward and it was time to go back to the Pedernales.
My friends have given free range of their place, after today I may become a nuisance.

Today I came back with a 890 RPLXI instead of the 690 ONE I used last time. I was stringing up the rod when I saw a fish come up and bust the surface. I came to test the Carp-it Bomb, but opportunity was knocking. Right over there, where the shadow of the tree falls on the water, just there in the deeper green water off that ledge.
So I put back on a green foam hopper popper. First cast, the fly hits the water right off the edge of the ledge..... There's an explosion of water. I didn't know Bass carried hand grenades, but this guy used his. As I worked the Bass towards me a even larger one followed it.
This fish was about 3 1/2lbs. Just as I was removing the hook, it shook, and I dropped it back in the water.
Not the most graceful of releases.

I looked down and there was that larger Bass checking out his companion I just released. I cast the foam hopper towards him several times but seeing what it did to his friend he was having none of it. Well I did come here to fish the Carp-it Bomb, so off with the hopper and on with the Carp-it Bomb. I cast it out about 2 feet in front of the other Bass circling the pool. The fly hit water and started to sink slowly. The Bass darted and the fly was gone. Strike ! I am sure glad I brought the heavier rod. Sure the wind was part of that decision, but the size of these first two fish sure made that a good choice.
Same place different fly.....
Check this baby out.....
4lbs+..... Very Nice !!!!!

I can see why people move here even if they don't fish.....
Of course for me that is unimaginable.
I mean with this in your backyard wouldn't you consider taking up a new hobby?
Little Guadalupes too.....
All were gobbling up the Carp-it Bomb!
Even this big Catfish.

Now for the unusual.
Karen had told me about a Large Bass that lived in the pool downstream from her house. She said she hooked a Perch which was then eaten by the Big Bass and eventually broke everything off. I was fishing my way down this pool when I hooked a small Bass about 10". I was stripping him in when the pool's cannibal came calling. This Bass engulfed the 10"er with ease. I am not sure how big it was because I never got a good look at it, but my best guess is 6-7lbs. I released tension on the line hoping the Big One would swallow it. After a wait of 15-20 seconds I put tension back in the line. The cannibal swam off and I followed it through the pool. I tried to kept the line short. I chased that fish like being pulled along by a runaway Labrador on the leash. I never got within 20' and finally the Big One spit the little one out.
You can see the scales removed from this smaller Bass. I released this one and it swam off.

I kept on fishing after that and caught a few more Perch there.
I had a another one on when again a large dark shadow appeared again and took this Perch.
Again I let the fish have some time to swallow the Perch.
Again I came tight and chased the Big One around the pool.....
And again it spit out it's prey.
Now I can't tell you it was the same fish for sure, all I can tell you is it was one of similar size. But I suspect it was the same fish, as I can't imagine more than one that size living in that little pool. So now I have a new nemesis waiting for me to go another round, this time on the Pedernales.

The rest of the day was more of the same. The Carp-it Bomb was proving to be a first rate Bass fly.
Another good looking piece of water.....
It did not seem like an exceptional day.
It was hot, very few clouds in the sky to hide the intense sun, yet the fishing was exceptional.

And my thumb was paying a price.....
A price I willing pay anytime the fish want to play.

More likely holding spots.....
More willing participants.....
Another good fish... anywhere... anytime!

And it just goes on and on.....
Another little tick on the line.....
Another good one to release.

It was surreal....
One of those days.....
I'm speechless, you fill in the blanks.

Finally the sun was down.
I was a good 3/4 a mile downstream and time to head back.
At the house I talked to George and then Karen. I told them about the day and showed them some of the pictures.
I told Karen I had tangled with her Big Bass and probably tangled with it a second time. She told me to come back anytime and see if I could catch it. I hope to follow up someday and get a real picture of the Big One.

Jimbo

becpa

Re: The Other Fishing

Post by becpa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Nice report.

Bill