Saturday morning

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

moorerust1

Saturday morning

Post by moorerust1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:49 am

I got the chance to take a great young fisherman out Saturday morning thanks to my wife... Now what would a wife have to do with me getting to fish? She is the AP at a local Comal ISD elementary school and just happened to notice this little dudes passion for fishing. I get to volunteer at the school every year teaching 5th graders to fly cast but rarely do I see this level of focused fishing skill all wrapped up in a youngster. Of course there are the kids who like to fish or that want to go, but they usually cant stay focused long enough to really pick apart the river. Well I met my match in this one! Layne is only in 4th grade but is already eaten up with the fishing flu! While he isn't an expert with the fly rod YET, I tell him to cast to the tree next to the bank with his spinning rod and he says " which side of the tree " and puts it on the spot!! Our intent was to try to pull a few striper, or even a bass or two from the river, get some photos and have a good time on the river. Well.....no striper, but oh boy the bass!!

First fish of the day

If you get the chance...take a kid fishing, unless they out fish you....then leave them at the video game console and don't tell them about any of your honey holes! wink wink!

Russell

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Saturday morning

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Keeping the future bright!
Good work!

Jimbo

bankerag02

Post by bankerag02 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Awesome!

rstarnes

Post by rstarnes » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:26 am

Brings back great memories of my grandkids. Hope you took the opportunity after that last photo to tell him not to lower-lip a fish. It produces a severe strain on their jaw ligaments and can kill the fish.

kewald

Post by kewald » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Well done! What stretch of river were you fishing?