Hill Country Pike

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

brandonfox

Hill Country Pike

Post by brandonfox » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm usually a lurker on the forum, gathering as much info as I can without much to give back in return unfortunately.
I came across something new today however. I was fishing in the Kerrville area and saw what I thought were small alligator gar. That alone surprised me, as I did not know they were in this area. They turned out to be northern pike. I was able to land one, the other was not interested in anything I had to offer. These fish must have been stocked, right? The section of river I was fishing was far from any pond, although I suppose floods could alter that. The fish were about 20" and put up a great fight.

Anyone else run into these before?

Brandon

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Hill Country Pike

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Northern Pike? Are you sure? Do you have a pic?
Were they in the upper Guadalupe?
I don't recall any Northerns in Texas.
There are some Chain Pickerel in North East Texas Lakes, but nothing around Central Texas that I know.
Maybe it was a Spotted Gar?

Jimbo

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:38 am

I caught a small (about 12") chain pickerel a few years ago on Granger lake in the river section while crappie fishing with conventional tackle. This link might help: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/specie ... l_pike.htm
Mark Dillow

brandonfox

Post by brandonfox » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Jimbo - It was a chain pickerel, not a northern pike. My bad on that, I thought they were the same fish.
Was not a gar. I've caught every gar except for an alligator, it was 100% a pickerel. I do not have a pic, and yes on the upper guad. This was near Kerrville. It was on a longer stretch of river, so I will try to go back and see if I can catch one of them again.

Thanks for the link Labrat. It was a chain pickerel.

Brandon

pav

Post by pav » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 am

I found the remains of a pickerel on the Guadalupe near Rebecca crossing it was about 6-8 inches long and it floated past me while fishing I thought about how odd it was so I put it in my water bottle and an old fisherman said it was a pickerel.
put off everything to go flyfishing