Hill country fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Strykerdm

Hill country fishing

Post by Strykerdm » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Hey all,
I'm a newbie to fly fishing and still learning so I was wondering if anybody had advice on good places to fish within driving distance of San Antonio. I've only tried the Guadalupe near rio raft but I heard that the fishing has been slow there lately. I've heard about canyon lake and other places that might have bass but I don't know if I can wade there. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this should I in the Trout subforum.

Alex Argyros

Re: Hill country fishing

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Just do the obvious: scroll down the topics in this forum and you'll find a wealth of information about warm water fishing in the HIll Country.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

time to go exploring.
With the exception of a few county ordinances (and specific to county roads), you can park your car and get in the water at any bridge that is considered navigable water. That covers the Guadalupe pretty much up to its headwaters (you can't wade at Kerr WMA where the Guadalupe springs come out of the ground).
Is every bridge worth wading? Not necessarily. But planning a day of driving and exploring is a good thing to do.
The Guadalupe is just one river. The Medina, Cibolo Creek, head west to the Sabinal, the Frio, the Nueces. The Pedernales. Even Leon Creek.

all the best roads follow the river

you never know what you'll find

wow Alex, I had no idea there were posts back to '05 still on this forum.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Suggest picking up a copy of Fly Fishing the Hill Country. Loads of rivers and places to explore.
Mark Dillow

dmoczygemba1

Post by dmoczygemba1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Love the bike. I put cross tires on my road bike, and have been using it since October to access fishing spots around where I live. I was wondering how to put my rod on it, and I like the setup you have. I'll have to copy it. Very nice! I've been thinking about trailering my kayak with my bike as well, but haven't been brave enough for that yet. One of these days... The next spot on the list for the bike is the Perdenales up around Fredericksburg, as well as the little creeks. Two thumbs up to the Flyfishing the Texas Hill Country. Have the original, but also bought the new one with the updated crossings & gps coordinates. Too many cool places to explore in central Texas!

Daryl

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 am

I have another set of wheels with cross tires, too - they just weren't on for the photo.
The Carsick Designs roll-top pannier is cavernous and has pockets on both ends. It's also long and requires a full-sized rear rack.
The pockets are intended for water and fuel bottles, but happen to fit a rod tube perfectly, and then you need a toe strap to secure the top.
http://carsickdesigns.bigcartel.com/
http://www.carsickdesigns.com/www.carsi ... NIERS.html
You might contact him - he may make you such a deal on a single pannier.

Note this will only work for a multipiece - rod tubes under 30" work best, but I've strapped 35" tubes for vintage 3-pc. cane rods.
My little Japanese 6-pc. glass rod is fantastic for this - the rod tube is only 16"

latest incarnation as a rando, with 11-l front bag (this will hold my studded wading boots), and vintage T/A crankset with half-step gearing + escape.

my buddy's MIL owns a ranch on Musebach Creek, and we bike-fish River Road, Boos to SH-16 and Morris Ranch out to White Oak, Pump Station, Frederich. From Pfeister up, though, you're at the mercy of the landowner. Also, there haven't been headwater flows for two years through the drought. I think growth of wells around Harper is really sapping the catchment.
Alex, they registered flow in the river there this week.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?s ... 0065,00060
On the Guadalupe, Zoeller Lane is another nice bike-fish (check all the dirt trails that go to the river)- also River Bend.

Phil Shooks book on fly fishing Texas is also a good one
http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Guide- ... 1932098658
Ron Mc