Introduction and Heading to Junction for the cold weekend

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

creativepart

Introduction and Heading to Junction for the cold weekend

Post by creativepart » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Hello all, I'm a brand new member here. I've fly fished on and off over the past 20 years. But I'm still very much a beginner as I've been "off" more than "on". And, I generally fish alone so I don't get the benefit of learning from others.

I started Fly Fishing in Michigan on the Au Sable River in the 70s. After moving to Texas in the 80's I pretty much stopped fishing. Then we moved to Jackson Hole, Wyoming in 2000. I was very fortunate to fish all over WY, ID MT and UT while living there. Well, I did fish in all those places, just not all that often.

After we moved back to Texas in 2005 I pretty much hung up my fly rod until we started spending June and Sept in Durango, CO three years ago. And finally, it dawned on me that I could do some fishing here as well. It may not be all trout all the time, but that's OK.

We're going to Junction for the weekend tomorrow. We camp at South Llano River State Park. I plan to give that river a try for the first time during this cold snap we've got coming up. Last weekend was the Fly Fishing Festival in Junction, so I just missed it.

I joined the GRTU Lease program this year, so perhaps I'll see some of you folks on the water and you can give me some tips on Texas Fly Fishing.

Thanks
This is my signature.

Ron Mc

Re: Introduction and Heading to Junction for the cold weeken

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:17 am

Welcome.
I think you may get wet tomorrow.
Sorry you'll miss the GRTU general meeting on Saturday.
While I love warmwater fishing in the hill country, our tailwater in the winter and spring is pretty fine.
Ron Mc

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 am

"While I love warmwater fishing in the hill country, our tailwater in the winter and spring is pretty fine."

Amen.

creativepart

Post by creativepart » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:41 pm

It was a cold weekend in Junction. But the fishing was OK -- not great. I caught some bass and a number of sunfish - 7 or 8 all together. Turns out the dry flies worked the best -- which was a surprise for me. I did best with a ugly brown Chernobyl type bug but a small bug eyed frog dry fly did OK too. All the wet flies I tried did nothing. I was going to give a San Juan Worm a try but the Chernobyl worked so well that I never got around to it.

I'll probably stick to tailwater trout fishing as I find that more interesting. A friend caught a fairly large "left-over" just below the dam a week ago.
This is my signature.