Okoboji-Not the Hill Country

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

cresswellcharles

Okoboji-Not the Hill Country

Post by cresswellcharles » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:32 pm

Ann and I are spending the summer at her family cottage on Lake Okoboji, Iowa. The lake itself is glacially created and spring fed. Record Muskie have been taken from the lake. Fishing off the cottage dock puts you in water 10 plus feet deep.
Fly fishing is particularly challenging. There are no accessible beaches, and the water gets deep fast. Joe Robinson's Ultralight setup works.

A 21" pike is large for Joe's setup. Fortunately the fishes teeth did not catch the line.

Lake fishing is fine, and here fish fries for friends and family are expected. It's not got the serenity and unexpectedness of the Hill Country rivers, but worthwhile.

Cress

If anyone has some thoughts on fishing deep, up to 20 feet with a fly rod, I would welcome help. I really want to catch a large Walleye on my fly rod.

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Okoboji-Not the Hill Country

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Fishing in deep water with a flyrod is not easy. That being said I would suggest using a Scientific Anglers Uniform Sink Plus full sinking line. They make 1-5 sink rated lines and I think for fishing those 20' levels a USL 5 maybe a USL 4 flyline will get you down to the bottom.

Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:54 am

Looks like great water, Cress.

And, to answer your question, I think that Jimbo's advice is sound, but, imo, XUL is so much more efficient and elegant for fishing that kind of water that I don't particularly see the point of stretching the concept of fly fishing beyond its limits. To think about it inversely, I know that I can rig up my XUL rod to be able to cast #24 midges to rising trout, but a fly rod would be much more appropriate for such applications that I wouldn't bother.

Now, some soft plastics on a tiny jig in your lake, well, Plato would approve.

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 pm

Cress the thought of fishing for pike reminds me of be careful skinny dipping LOL .
but really if you have a 6-8 w fly rod try throwing some small squirrel sized streamers if you have them or can tie them. streamers stripped in a fashion to entice these toothy monster should produce results, it is at lest worth a try for me.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:51 pm

you used to be able to catch pike in impoundments on Town Creek west of Kerrville - they were stocked in the 40s, and the endemic bass were forage for them. I caught a 25"er once.
That was 20+ years ago. I don't know if they've survived the recent droughts.
Ron Mc