Trying out new Canoe at the Blanco River

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

pav

Trying out new Canoe at the Blanco River

Post by pav » Mon May 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Image Went to the Blanco State Park I got a good deal on an Old Town Guide 119 its a 1 seat canoe moves like a kayak. Need to get a kayak paddle for it its really short. Here it is on my car after purchase. Image. I was mainly trying to figure this canoe out today brought the fly rod but left it in the car, I used spinning rod today and threw spinners and some small crank baits. Caught a few bass and some perch and even a channel cat on a spinner never done that before. But FYI the Blanco River is flowing great.
put off everything to go flyfishing

pav

Re: Trying out new Canoe at the Blanco River

Post by pav » Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I did not think of this but would this canoe work out on the coast in the bays it has a 7-8" water line
put off everything to go flyfishing

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:21 am

I don't see why not but one thing it will be a little harder to maneuver when the wind picks up and probably a lot more unstable to stand in. I would give it a try for sure.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 pm

A nice little boat indeed. I've got the 147 version and it works well with two or with me in the middle, seated on a cooler right up against the thwart.

I agree that it will get blown around a bit more than a kayak at the coast, but so what? If nothing else you can use it to paddle across the channel to the LHL or Brown and Root and start wading with the boat dragging behind you. (with a chain dragging to keep it behind you, of course)
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.