Devils River Update

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

rivergeek

Devils River Update

Post by rivergeek » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm

After almost one year and four meetings of the 'Devils River Working Group', the Final Report of Recommendations was issued today to the TPWD Commissioners in Austin. As a member of the DRWG, representing paddlers and anglers, I am confident that things will change for the better with respect to making a Devils River expedition a more enjoyable experience, although it will always be a wild and rugged physical challenge. Within a year or two, I am confident that responsible paddlers and anglers will be able to paddle and fish the Devils River (without a near impossible 15.5 mile paddle on day 1) plus many obviously legal gradient boundary camps, out of view of resident homes or cabins will be available without harassment or fear of trespassing. I am confident that paddlers will have the opportunity to do a 15.5 mile trip from Bakers to Upper Unit DRSNA (the existing SNA); a 17.5 mile trip from Upper Unit DRSNA to Lower Unit DRSNA (Devils River Ranch); a 33 mile trip from Bakers to DRR; or a 40 mile plus trip from Bakers to Lake Amistad. Takeouts at Blue Sage will no longer be possible. Negotiations are currently under way between TPWD and TXDOT for a controlled access point at Bakers Crossing Hwy. 163 bridge. Some type of permit system will be implemented for all overnight paddlers launching at Bakers or one of the DRSNA units. The 'Leave No Trace' ethic for trash and human waste will be mandatory. Online educational resources will be available to assist inexperienced paddlers and those with any questions. A volunteer 'River Patrol' program will be implemented to help monitor river use and river health. And more.. Here is the link to TPWD Devils River information: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/r ... quisition/. The entire 20 page DRWG Final Report of Recommendations was not online as of 1/26/12, but it should be posted soon. I will have a copy of it with me at the 1/28/12 GRTU meeting and will be happy to discuss it with anybody who is interested.
SYOTR,
Rich Grayson

rivergeek

Re: Devils River Update

Post by rivergeek » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Rich,
Thanks again for your attention to this important matter.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

rivergeek

Post by rivergeek » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Greetings - Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will hold Public Meetings in April 2012, regarding the proposed Public Use portion of the Devils River State Natural Area - General Management Plan. State Parks officials will discuss proposals related to public access, camping, trail systems, interpretive plans and other recreational opportunities within the Units of Devils River State Natural Area. This will be followed by the opportunity for the public to provide input on the proposals.

Please hold the date for a meeting in your area:
April 10 – Houston
April 11 – Dallas
April 12 – Austin
April 16 – Del Rio
April 19 – San Antonio

Venues for the meetings are being finalized. All meetings are currently scheduled from 7-9pm. Be on the lookout for general information related to the proposals and exact meeting locations in the next few weeks via email, social media and press release.

For question or comments please email DevilsRiverComment@tpwd.state.tx.us

I will update this forum thread when I receive info on the specific locations.
Rich Grayson

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Rich, thanks for the great update.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

rivergeek

Post by rivergeek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:17 pm

The locations for Devils River public comment meetings are at:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/fe ... c_comment/

or here:

The public meetings will take place on the following dates:

Houston — April 10, 7-9 p.m. — Houston Zoo, Brown Education Hall,6200 Hermann Park Drive, Gate 5, Houston 77030 (Enter through GATE 5.)
Arlington — April 11, 7-9 p.m., Bob Duncan Center, Garden Room, 2800 S. Center Street, Arlington 76014
Austin — April 12, 6:30-8:30, LCRA Redbud Center, Room RBC 108 North, 3601 Lake Austin Blvd.,Austin 78703
Del Rio — April 16, 7-9 p.m., Civic Center, Kennedy Room, 1915 Veterans Blvd., Del Rio 78840
San Antonio — April 19, 7-9 p.m., Central Library Auditorium, 600 Soledad, San Antonio 78205

Comment can also be made by emailing devilsrivercomment@tpwd.state.tx.us.

For further information, please contact Chris Beckcom, (512) 389-4661, chris.beckcom@tpwd.state.tx.us or Joe Ranzau, (830) 395-2133, joe.ranzau@tpwd.state.tx.us.