Best spots for carp?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Coconut Groves

Best spots for carp?

Post by Coconut Groves » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for carp based on the current conditions? I had a few spots on Buchanan that now are totally dry and the water is very stained, so I am curious to know if anyone else has seen them piled up on the shore.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Best spots for carp?

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:57 pm

The lower end of LadyBird Johnson Lake and the Colorado River below it have many large Carp swimming around in their waters.

Jimbo

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

I've heard and seen many pics, but are those carp deep, or cruising the shallows, eating and tailing? Shallow water carp on the fly is the cheapest alternative to bones and permit that you can get.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:27 pm

There are some nice carp cruising the long deep (well, they were deep before the drought) pools of Brushy Creek in Round Rock.

kaisertoro

Post by kaisertoro » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 am

Two places I see carp cruising in the shallows are below Longhorn Dam (half way between the dam and Montopolis bridge) in the morning/early afternoon (this is prior to release) and in the Bull Creek tributary of Lake Austin, hugging the Courtyard developmental on the turn towards the County Line Restaurant - I was in about a foot of water and had a Carp knock into my kayak last week.

I have not fished for them yet.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I haven't been there in a long time, and certainly not this summer, but the upper end of Lake Georgetown - below Tejas Camp has many big carp. I've caught them spring, summer and fall there in the past.
Ron Mc

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:18 pm

I got into some yesterday on the north side of Shaw Island out on Buchanan. I was out looking for stripers, but the wind picked up more than it was forecast, so we went carp hunting instead. Where we found soft or sandy bottoms they were there. No tailers, all cruisers and very skiddish (more than normal). But I was able to trick a few into eating.