Striper fishing on the lower guad?

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

stephenrod

Striper fishing on the lower guad?

Post by stephenrod » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:01 am

Hey folks,
Ive heard there are stripers to be caught on the lower guad. and I would love to give it a go. Is there a good place to do this without hooking a college student on a back cast?

Alex Argyros

Re: Striper fishing on the lower guad?

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:01 pm

You sound as if you think that hooking a college student on the backcast is a bad thing.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:11 pm

There aren't as many stripers as other species like trout or even carp, in my experience. Some fishermen remove them for meat or because they prey on trout. Tubers don't start until after 10 am, and there should be fewer of them, because of the low water.

Pon

stephenrod wrote:Hey folks,
Ive heard there are stripers to be caught on the lower guad. and I would love to give it a go. Is there a good place to do this without hooking a college student on a back cast?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:06 am

There are many Stripers in the pools between the dam and Horseshoe Falls.
The ones we really want removed are in the long pool above Rio, Barking Dog pool, S Turn Rapids pool, the pools between Little Ponderosa and Lazy L&L. Catch as many as you can and you will save many Trout. Good Luck and happy hunting!

Jimbo

stephenrod

Post by stephenrod » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

Thank you for the information. Will head out early and give it a shot.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:48 pm

I think one of the state record stripers for the Guad was caught around horseshoe area. Good luck, would welcome a post on river floating conditions when you get back.

The lake at the dam area also has stripers, down deep this time of year. I have had good luck with stripers at the upper Guad a few miles downstream from Rebecca Bridge, during the white bass run in February.

Pon

stephenrod wrote:Thank you for the information. Will head out early and give it a shot.