Kayak or Pontoon

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

donnpat2000

Kayak or Pontoon

Post by donnpat2000 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 am

What are your views on the use of either a Kayak or inflatable pontoon boat for fresh water fishing? I either need a 2-person or two seperate boats for my wife and me. I would like to transport it in the bed of a pickup as I often pull a camp trailer.
Don

pontoonman

Re: Kayak or Pontoon

Post by pontoonman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:18 pm

Where will you be using the boats? Tubes or toons are designed specifically for fishing and have a short learning curve, but are hard to propel any distance. Kayaks are more easily propelled unstable craft where fishing can be done as an afterthought, IF you already have the skills.

Hope this helps.

Pon
Don[/quote]
donnpat2000 wrote:What are your views on the use of either a Kayak or inflatable pontoon boat for fresh water fishing? I either need a 2-person or two seperate boats for my wife and me. I would like to transport it in the bed of a pickup as I often pull a camp trailer.
Don

tm@fischer

Post by tm@fischer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:20 pm

My wife and I have two kyaks that we haul in the bed of our Nissan Frontier truck while pulling a 18 ft.Aliner camper trailer. She has a 9.3 ft. Malibu Mini X (40lbs.) and I recently switched to a 10 ft. LiquidLogic Coupe (46 lbs.). Both kyaks are very stable, especially the Coupe which is a white water sit on top . Wilderness Systems makes other stable, fishing kyaks which I have owned and fished out of in all salt/fresh water environments. To me, kyaks offer great flexibility for multi use activities and I do not have to negotiate where/when I want to go while on the water with my partner. Each of us have freedom to go at our own pace,etc..you get the picture. Now, if we could just get some rain !

Tom Morgan

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 am

Tom, could you talk a little more about the differences between the Mini-X and the LiquidLogic Coupe. I'm considering a yak and these are at the top of my list.

tm@fischer

Post by tm@fischer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 am

Alex,
The Malibu mini X has a great initial stability but the secondary stability is unforgiving once you reach a certain point, such as leaning weight too much to one side. For example,99% of the time I had no problems except for that 1% where the kayak will flip over unexpectedly when leaning over the side too much. I also got thrown out once on the SM River while hitting a strong eddy(swirly). That is when I decided to do more research for a more forgiving kayak. Liqidlogic coupe has a more rounded chine which accounts for the great stability,even in class 1 or 2 waters. I test drove one at TG Canoe and Kayaks(www.tgcanoe.com) in San Marcos and I was happily impressed. The kayak has a retractable keel which helps on flat water. With my advanced age, I sold my Wilderness Systems 13.5 ft. Ride (65lbs.) even though it is unquestionably the most stable and all around stellar kayak I have ever owned. If you do not mind the heavier weight, I would strongly recommend the Ride. Austin Canoe and Kayak sells them. I hope this helps you make a more informed decision on your purchase.
Regards,
Tom Morgan

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:42 pm

With good skills, I would also go with 2 SOT kayaks on the SM river, unless it is strictly a drifting trip using oars where you get picked up downstream.

When packing a distance to water, I would go with (2) "V" tubes, unless you can transport in a kayak to site by air (8# per vs. 35# per kayak).

Pon

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Alex Argyros wrote:Tom, could you talk a little more about the differences between the Mini-X and the LiquidLogic Coupe. I'm considering a yak and these are at the top of my list.
Alex, if you're wanting a river boat, I recommend you look at the Jackson Coosa. Test paddled it a few weeks back when my buddy Steve bought one, and it's stable, and turns on a dime.
Ron Mc

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for the excellent advice, folks.

One of my major concerns is portability. I will frequently be loading the kayak to the top of my car and unloading it by myself. And, as those of you who know me know, I'm not exactly a linebacker. Could I do that with the larger yaks, such as the one you recommend, Ron?

tm@fischer

Post by tm@fischer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Alex,
I forgot to mention that the Coupe I bought came with a fixed wheel in the stern which helps with portability to the river. I researched the Coosa in the past and got spooked with 67lb. weight (wt. includes a neat seat). From past experience, I would simply narrow your search and actually load/unload the yaks yourself as well as test them on the water. Happy hunting.
Tom

stiles

Post by stiles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Another option is the Native Ultimate. While other sit-on-tops use a double hull, the Ultimate uses a single hull making it significantly lighter. And, its stable enough to stand and cast from.

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Alex Argyros wrote:Thanks for the excellent advice, folks.

One of my major concerns is portability. I will frequently be loading the kayak to the top of my car and unloading it by myself. And, as those of you who know me know, I'm not exactly a linebacker. Could I do that with the larger yaks, such as the one you recommend, Ron?
that is certainly a problem. The Coosa is a 70-lb boat - well appointed, though.

Recently bought my daughter a Redfish 10 - it's designed by the same guy who designed all the Wilderness boats (Tarpon, etc.). He sold Wilderness to Perception and he started up Heritage with his new hull design.
It weighs 44 lbs and is rated for 325 lbs. It tracks very straight with steady paddling, glides very efficiently, and will turn sharply with harder strokes
(at your size you could backpack out of this with efficient packing)
Good in the river, at the coast, and on lakes/ponds
Image Image
compared to my 16' Tarpon (75 lbs, rated for 375 lbs), it's 2 inches wider, and the cockpit is 2 inches longer.

A roomy, stable little boat.

I rigged the cockpit with a Harmony johnny bar so there's a place to mount a rod holder and hardware (anchor cleat, etc.) without having to drill in the boat. The johnny bars are closing out everywhere now, and the cheapest I've seen was on ebay at $40 - a steal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harmony-Kayak-Fishi ... 0346033675

it also very nicely fits a milk crate in the back, which gives you another option, mounting rod holders, etc. to the milk crate
Ron Mc