Trot Lines

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Danny S

Trot Lines

Post by Danny S » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Just a word of caution to those that wade, tube, or kayak the rivers here. With the low flows, the trot lines are becoming something to be cautious of, especially in sections that are much shallower than normal. I have encountered two or three in the last couple of weeks. One had some HUGE hooks on it and I was thankful I "hooked it" during a downstream cast with my fly before floating over it; could very well have ended up with a hook in my leg. I've also come close while wading.

How can you lessen the chances of fouling up in a trot line?

1. Wade carefully and don't try to pull your foot forward if you feel something subsurface is against your foot or leg. Think of it as a possible booby trap--what would you do for that?
2. Keep an eye toward the banks for the tell-tale "tie-off" point of a trot line, and use great care while traversing that area.

I've hooked trot lines before that ran parallel to the bank, but lately, the ones crossing the river are presenting their dangers.

pontoonman

Re: Trot Lines

Post by pontoonman » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:17 am

Danny:

I have also more seen limb lines as well lately. I believe they are both supposed to be tagged, otherwise they are illegal. Some remain abandoned in high traffic areas which I have to cross to get to better water. They become a serious hazard and should be removed, lest kids get hung up on them.

It could be worse. In some Co. streams there are barbed wire fences across the creeks and streams below the surface when the water is high, and sometimes the water is moving fast, so they are hard to see in time. I like to approach from the downstream side to explore these and other potential hazards before running with the current in a river or creek.

Hope this helps.

Pon
Danny S wrote:Just a word of caution to those that wade, tube, or kayak the rivers here. With the low flows, the trot lines are becoming something to be cautious of, especially in sections that are much shallower than normal. I have encountered two or three in the last couple of weeks. One had some HUGE hooks on it and I was thankful I "hooked it" during a downstream cast with my fly before floating over it; could very well have ended up with a hook in my leg. I've also come close while wading.

How can you lessen the chances of fouling up in a trot line?

1. Wade carefully and don't try to pull your foot forward if you feel something subsurface is against your foot or leg. Think of it as a possible booby trap--what would you do for that?
2. Keep an eye toward the banks for the tell-tale "tie-off" point of a trot line, and use great care while traversing that area.

I've hooked trot lines before that ran parallel to the bank, but lately, the ones crossing the river are presenting their dangers.