Dobson Flies

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Danny S

Dobson Flies

Post by Danny S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:32 am

While floating the middle Guadalupe yesterday, I saw what I at first thought was a small salamander crawling on the outside of my flippers. When I lifted my flipper completely out of the water, it crawled between my flats boot and flipper. Turns out it was a Hellgrammite. Heck, I didn't even know we had Dobson Flies in the Guadalupe; I've never seen one. This Hellgrammite was almost 2" long and very dark. I've turned over rocks and looked into some stirred up sandy silt before and never seen one on the Guadalupe. I noticed this one after going through a fairly shallow area where my flippers stirred up some bottom gravel and silt.

Sure would make a decent quick meal for the sunfish and bass. Might be why a small bugger can work well at times, among other reasons.

Alex Argyros

Re: Dobson Flies

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 am

Sounds like a threadlined small soft plastic salamander might pique the fish's interest.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:32 am

Might not have to be too threadlike, Alex, but I think a small 'mander would be effective. These fish are hitting anything that looks like food in any sections. Proportionally, I'd say the body thickness was comparable to a salamander of that length. The head is what I saw first and it looked like a salamander head. Only when Rob and I saw the whole thing did we realize it wasn't a salamander. Had some good little pincers also. Heck, he may have been able to hang on to a small fish for din-din. HA! A small #10 or 12 4X long hook bugger with shorter hackle should do nicely to imitate it. Add in a thicker head than on normal buggers (maybe extra chenille wraps or thick dubbing), and I think you would have a great imitation of this. Likely run it in and along the seams of runs or slowly bounce it along the river rocks or limestone in other areas. This is, of course based on the assumption there is enough of a population to make this one of their targeted food sources.

Aquaman

Post by Aquaman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:15 pm

I've collected many hellgramites in the Guad, including some as big as my index finger. I've caught lots of fish on big 20-inchers and brown wooly buggers that resemble them.
Trey

"Perhaps fishing is, for me, just an excuse to be near rivers." - Roderick Haig-Brown

lhill

Post by lhill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

I've seen some seined up around the 2nd crossing at one of Rob Woodruff's classes. He said they crawl on the bottom eating other nymphs and if they get swept away, they roll into a ball. Then when they stop they straighten out and fall head first to the bottom. He suggested a front weighted bugger in the tail outs.

A couple of people have seen stoneflies, damselfly hatches and suckers moving into the shallows on the river. Wish the water was cooler.
Larry

"None of us ever dies if the deeds we've done continue to do good in a world where trout still swim." Dave Hughes

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 am

I fished the Blue River in Oklahoma last winter and was told by Rob and Steve Hollensed (local guide) that it was full of Dobson fly larva. I had good luck with tunghead Guadalupanas in sizes 4 and 8. Dark olive or dark brown would work. There are much more complicated hellgramite flies you can tie, but I think they would be overkill. Buggers work just fine.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

tm@fischer

Post by tm@fischer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Check out Action Angler.com as Chris has good pic of hellgrammite and dobson fly on the fish facts link. I bought some hellgrammite flies there with good results for smallmouth on the middle Guad but I have not tried them for trout yet. I will have to try one for the attractor fly next trip.

Danny S

Post by Danny S » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Based on these replies, those buggers are quite common on the river. Live and learn! I have seen many posts and sites that include the aquatic fish food and never came across the hellgrammite for the Guadalupe. Bet I see them more often now that I know their quite common. Somewhat :oops:

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

They even turn up in my back yard here in Southwest Austin near Bee Caves. They are about 11/2 long and look painful.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"