Fly Fishing Tournament for Bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

tedwarren

Fly Fishing Tournament for Bass

Post by tedwarren » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Wanted all to know about the 2nd World Championship Bass on The Fly Fishing Tournament May 21, 2011 on Lake Fork Texas. See all the details at bassonthefly.org. Early entries by May 1st get entry into drawing for Sage Largemouth fly rod!

Coconut Groves

Re: Fly Fishing Tournament for Bass

Post by Coconut Groves » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 pm

I noticed an interesting guideline in the rules of the tournament:

7. TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT: All fish must be caught in a legal sporting manner. Trolling with combustion engine as a method of fishing is prohibited. ONLY RODS AND REELS, LINE AND FLIES DESIGNED EXCLUSIVELY FOR FLY FISHING MAY BE USED. No soft plastic baits, or any other type of bait, customarily used for fishing with other types of rod and reels may be used. No live or prepared bait is permitted. Liquid fish attractants are allowed.

I think fly fishing tournaments, when done right, are good for the sport, but I question the use of fish attractants in them. My post here is not to be negative, but simply to point out this finer detail of the rules that some might disagree with. I'm not a purist, and my fly box of gummy minnows proves that, but liquid scent and fly fishing should not go together. Having a fish eat some chicken feathers around a hook is the ultimate trick - to use an attractant dilutes that a considerable amount; it takes much of the skill out of the sport.

Disclaimer - my opinion on that has nearly changed before, mainly when permit fishing. I've often thought of using crab scent on my flies, but resisted the urge.... :P
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Fly Fishing Tournament for Bass

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 am

I'm with you on the subject of attractants.
They don't belong in flyfishing. It is also worth noting that while flyfishing on the Guadalupe in the trophy trout zone, flyfishing with attractants on your flys is considered that same as fishing with bait and Trout may not be legally retained.
It is also well known that when companies, like Berkley, test their attractants they do so imparting no motion or any symbolence of appearing to be natural prey. They are tested by putting the scent on a cotton ball, dropping it into a tank, and watching the fish's response to their smell and taste.
I think flyfishing should be about appealing to the Trout sense of sight deaddrifting dryflys or nymphs and maybe even it's sense of movement through it's lateral line with waking a dryfly (sight of the surface disturbance and motion) or stripping a streamer. Something that is more difficult. Actually fooling fish into thinking that the fly you presented, and through the use of your particular presentation, is something they would want to eat without any other stimulus cues such as smell or taste. An achievement, if you will, in angling skills. Otherwise you might as well cast out your bait out and be fishing on the bottom with live worms, corn, or garlic chesse.

Jimbo