Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jchristensen77

Hill Country (warmwater) Fly Assortment Needed

Post by jchristensen77 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:12 pm

Post Removed. Broke Down and bought a new vice... :mrgreen:
Thanks,
John
Last edited by jchristensen77 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Hill Country (warmwater) Fly Assortment Needed

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Most everything you need will be found at area fly shops: Sportsman's Finest in Austin, Gruene Outfitters and Action Angler In New Braunfels, and Tackle Box in San Antonio. About the only thing you won't find are cat's whiskers so you will have to tie those if you want to fish them and let me tell you there really isn't a better fly to fish in the Hill Country.
So all you really need for Bass and Perch: Poppers, Hoppers, Cat's Whisker, Dave's Red Squirrel Rubber Legs.
For White Bass and Stripers: Cat's Whisker, Cybert Minnow, Clousers, and Pencil Poppers.
Jimbo

castell

Post by castell » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Martin Pursch at the Country Fly Fisher in Fredericksburg is a good source for Cat's Whiskers & Matt's Bugs. I would also suggest his bumble bee pattern as a great sunfish and Rio pattern. He not only ties, but has one of the better selections of tying materials in the area. Also, his fly prices are very reasonable.

http://www.flyfishingintexas.com/pages/TheFlyShop.html

shane cavitt

Post by shane cavitt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I second the recommendation of Martin Pursch to tie you up some if you don't tie yourself. He is a great guy and he does a great job on his flies. He can tie you up some that you can't find commercially in the shops or on-line (Matt's Bug and Cat's Whiskers to name a couple). His prices are also very reasonable. I always put in an order in late winter to early spring to get me through the year for some of my warm water fishing.

stiles

Post by stiles » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:16 pm

~~~ ><Ǽ>

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks everyone. As much as I hate to have lost my vice, I think my wife is happy about the loss of spun deer-hair clippings all over the house. 8)

I will definately go the local route, or take up some offers of fellow anglers here on the forum. Thanks again!
John

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:06 pm

c-a-t-s w-h-i-s-k-e-r
Ron Mc