San Marcos TX - With a river of the Same Name

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jchristensen77

San Marcos TX - With a river of the Same Name

Post by jchristensen77 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:43 am

Okay, I have to admit that I am ashamed of myself here. I have been living in San Marcos now for almost a year and have yet to actually fish the river of the same name! I have been spending the past year fishing the Blanco as I have obtained some sweet access points (these are very difficult to get so please forgive me for not posting here)...

Anyway, yes I read the article in Southwest Flyfishing magazine, but only this past weekend did I actually do some scouting of the river. I was amazed! I checked out the section smack-dab in the middle of town, as well as the section by Stokes Park (I think CTFF is "sponsoring" this park now) and noticed BIG bass scurrying around in the currents and eddies of this watershed. I also saw a tone of Rio Grande cichlids (one of my favorites) and a bunch of forage (vertebrate and invertabte).

My question is, I noticed some smaller back channels around Cape Road (Stokes Park) that looked wadable, but the kayaks coming down a fulll-speed were a bit of a deterrent, to say the least. Has anyone ever waded this river with any luck? And if so, can anyone recomend a loacation to gain this access? The water is so unbelievably clear, and a temperature reading this past week put it warmer tha the nearby Blanco, so I am assuming a virtual year-round warmwater fishery on the San Marcos due to the spring seepage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

d ayer

Re: San Marcos TX - With a river of the Same Name

Post by d ayer » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm

You might try posting your questions on the Central Texas Fly Fishers site (http://www.ctff.org/). The San Marcos is a spring fed river.
David