Alleged Record Breakage

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

BigCliff

Alleged Record Breakage

Post by BigCliff » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm

A buddy got a new toy, and he likes starting early so we were the crazy f'rs strapping a Watermaster atop a 4Runner after its virgin inflation at 6AM on a Sunday in a McDonalds parking lot.

Nice short drive to the take-out to drop his off, and strap the WM atop my kayak. Probably looked quite goofy atop my Forester going down the road.

I might have to try this starting early thing more often. The runts were hungry immediately, and I'd caught ten before 0800.

Most of them hope to get this big-

Found a few bass on the way down as well-

The trees make for a very comfortable day for August and its a very pretty section of river to float-

We were most of the way done with the 4 mile float by 2pm when I catch back up to my buddy who's in a big slow pool. He's hooked into something that's putting a hell of a bend in his three weight and fighting like a catfish I caught last weekend 3 miles downstream. I can tell its at least worth a picture and I maneuver the kayak into a holding position. He calls out that its a bass. I get a glimpse of it, and declare that I'm pretty damn sure its a Guadalupe Bass.

I knew that the world record for the species was about 4lbs, so I figured this was quite a catch. Turns out the fly rod record is only 1.4 lbs http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... &browse=Go and I'm pretty sure this fish busted clean through that.

My fish of the day just can't compete with that-
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Alleged Record Breakage

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:37 pm

Those reaches look aweful familiar.....
Looks like a bunch of fun......
That's a nice Guadalupe !
As far as unoffical records, I don't think it beats this one.....
I would guess this is one is at least 2 1/2lbs, maybe more. What do you think?
Jimbo

daleconnally

Post by daleconnally » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 pm

Can I play? Maybe mine's older? :P

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:10 am

Another nice one for sure, very dark.
Jimbo

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 pm

Dale:

Good thing you saved him from that shark that I see in the upper right hand portion of the photo.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

daleconnally

Post by daleconnally » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:37 pm

Nice Mick...I'll probly scare myself from now on :P

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 pm

22" and every bit of 4 lbs.
she was eating baby bats
she also has a blue sheen without a touch of copper

here's one of her Cibolo A-strain cousin.
Ron Mc

daleconnally

Post by daleconnally » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Ron, I kept waiting for a biggun' from you. The bottom lateral lines are really light on your pig in the pic. Were they that light in person? Is there some hybridization in many of the Guads we catch?
Good to hear from you,
Dale

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm

she was a big fish, and living short on oxygen when I caught her, so that was probably all the aggression color she could muster - '06 in the summer, and the river was running 4 cfs. Still, though, for half the fight I was expecting to find a 20-lb. catfish on the end of the line.
She was nicely tucked in the only plunge pool for miles and miles of river and, as I alluded, there's a bat cave vent 30 yds downstream from where I caught her. Now any one who has fished with me probably knows where it is...
Smallmouth were stocked widespread in the 70s and only a few creeks have pure strain endemic fish - and those will have some kind of natural barrier - a waterfall or in the case of much of the hill country, an aquifer recharge sinkhole.
We have our own version of cutbows and the endemic fish are threatened (eventually extinct) even with rampant stocking. OK, a species will survive, because they are being stocked westward where there are no native bass, where these guys are genetically the baddest boys on the block

but endemic bass weren't made to wear sunscreen
here's where they're from

about that aggression color - I caught a 15"er over (deep) white limestone in the winter - December - and its metabolism was so slow it couldn't change its markings from camo to aggression. The fish was white like marble, except for its blue sheen all over - powdery gray markings, a few red spots, and cobalt blue scars on its head, probably where rocks had pummeled it during a flood.
Ron Mc

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:41 pm

I looked up the fly rod records for stripers, whites and blacks on Travis and Buchanan. I couldn't believe what I saw - I don't even consider catching those a good day! Shoot, just the other day I could have had one of each at Buch. Then of course, there is this one I got at Travis:

That'd be hard to beat on convential, much less on the fly. My problem is I won't keep a big fish no matter what. Yes, you can measure and take pictures. But that takes away from time fishing.

Oh, and I recently had one on at Buch during the day that could have eaten that black above. Or at least took it's tail off... :) "It was pushing 13/14 without a doubt" my witness said when he saw a relatives 12 pounder on the wall.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

stiles

Post by stiles » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Nice fish all around fellas.

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 pm

in the early 90s, I released a 13" green sunfish in Bull Creek.
Found out later the state record was 9.6"
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:06 pm

Hey just a reminder, any 13+ pound Black Bass you catch between Oct 1 and April 30, you should call the Toyota Sharelunker Program which used to be called Share a Lone Star Lunker and get your Largemouth into the program. Call the number monitered 24 hours a day 888-784-0600 and they will come and pick it up ASAP. This helps the TPWD Black Bass stocking program and has led to larger Black Bass caught in Texas as they use these larger Bass to produce next year's fingerlings. There are perks to participating including a fiberglass replica and if your's is the largest of the year a lifetime fishing liscense.
Check out the website http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visi ... ker/rules/
Jimbo

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:31 am

Thanks for the info Jimbo, that is a cool program.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"