Upper Guadalupe River Float from 311 to Rebecca Crossing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

pav

Upper Guadalupe River Float from 311 to Rebecca Crossing

Post by pav » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:01 pm

A friend called letting me know he got a great deal on 2 kayaks and wanted to pull on my knowledge of a good river trip,that was friday and saturday we went down the guadalupe river a previous hawg trip. The river was moving great and was a great float trip. I usually catch a few large panfish, a large guadalupe bass, and a few decent bass. But I think the fish are still recovering from last years drought. Every fish that was caught could barely get the hook into their mouths. Give it a year or two and i think it will be a good fishery. But the rapids proved tough for the heritage angler kayaks, I lost a flyreel and my friend broke a spinning rod and lost his tackle. We got kinda of banged up. So if you want some challenging rapids try this float. BTW I have not commented on the board in a while which indicates I have not been out in a while (2years) so maybe I have slipped back to being an amateur and maybe someone elses experience won't be the same. But it was a nice break getting out!!!
Sorry no pics
put off everything to go flyfishing

Danny S

Re: Upper Guadalupe River Float from 311 to Rebecca Crossing

Post by Danny S » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:34 pm

That is a good trip when the flows are lower. When you went, I can imagine it was tough fishing with the flows. Floated the same week before last with my fishin' partner and we caught quite a few of everything, but a lot more cats than usual. All were near the bank and I can only figure they were maybe spawning. Went last week way further upriver and the largemouths were more abundant than usual. Heading out tomorrow and can't help but wonder what the fish-of-the-day will be.

pav

Post by pav » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

I got a new fly that looks kinda of like a minnow I saw there. Its a little meatier than what a normal streamer patter would be!

pav

Post by pav » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:56 pm

I tried totie what i saw and it was a meaty minnow with a black line. Its good to be fishing