Info on Michigan fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

preast

Info on Michigan fishing

Post by preast » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:55 am

Might be in N. Michigan (near Mackinaw bridge) in June for a week+. Grand Traverse Bay is only about 1.5 hours away and that's big time for huge carp and smallmouth spawning on the flats in the great lakes. Not to mention the Hex hatch. I was there 4 years ago at the same time. Fished the Pigeon, and then AuSable and Manistee. Never hit the hex thing right but could see how that could be phenomenol.

The in-laws live near Petoskey. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a fly shop or any fly fishing info. without going down to Grayling. Seemed like most folks waited on the salmon/steelhead runs and were bait guys.

So, I'm looking for a starting point for getting some info on that area. Seems there's so much info on the net, that it's very difficult to sift through. Anybody got a local forum or experience to get someone started? As always, anything's appreciated.

castell

Re: Info on Michigan fishing

Post by castell » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:49 pm

You might try asking this question over on http://www.itinerantangler.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl

There are a number of guys from MI that post there.

preast

Re: Info on Michigan fishing

Post by preast » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Good one. Haven't been to that site in a while. That guy likes to fish for carp too. Thanks.