Colorado Bend....White Bass

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

HMLarrimore

Colorado Bend....White Bass

Post by HMLarrimore » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 am

I've been to Colorado Bend 3 times in the past two weeks and it's better than I've seen it in the 5 years I've fished it. Red and White Clousers if it's overcast, white and chartreuse Wooleys if it's clear. Excellent place if you have kids who need instant gratification.

All the camp sites are reserved but there are camping facilities upriver at Sulphur Springs Camp. Though it's only a couple of miles upriver, the whites have not arrived there in significant numbers according to one camper I talked with Wednesday the 17th. There are also a couple of motels in San Saba, about a 45 minute drive from Colorado Bend.

Watch the LCRA Hydromet website for feeder creek levels in the event of rain in the Buchanan Basin. The ideal flow is 300- to 350 cfs.

EdN

Re: Colorado Bend....White Bass

Post by EdN » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 am

Mike Sweeney and I ran into Maurice last Wednesday up at Bend as he was taking off his gear. He said he had caught if I remember correctly @ 70 fish catch and release of course. Mike and I proceded to go fishing and I was having a hookup on practically every cast. The fish were mainly males so there's still some time to go white bass fishing.
EdN
When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing!

Jack

Re: Colorado Bend....White Bass

Post by Jack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

I went to Colorado bend this weekend. I arrived a little after sunup and was hooked up on my second cast.
A little before 11:oo I took a break to eat a sandwich. I had 43 and all were keepers, even though they all were released.
I returned for almost 2 hours and only caught another 5 or 6!
Sunday morning I decided to fish until I caught a limit of 25. It was slow compared to Saturday and it took me until almost 11:00!
Sure is nice to have some water in the rivers again!

Jack