Vintage Rod/Reel Question

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

SunBoy

Vintage Rod/Reel Question

Post by SunBoy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi Folks,
I'm starting a small vintage rod/reel collection, - I'm not planning on starting a museum, say about 10 of each, just getting some good quality pieces that I can also fish with. I've gotten an ocean city reel on ebay that is in really good shape, I think its a 77 - I would like to get another one, but smaller. So, is there a model that would be equal to a modern 4 wt.? Any help would be greatly appreciated, any suggestions to higher quality reels would be nice to.
Thanks in advance,
-Steve

erhd55

Re: Vintage Rod/Reel Question

Post by erhd55 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Check here for fiberglass fly rods and classic fly reels:
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

SunBoy

Post by SunBoy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Thats a good website - Thanks!

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:53 pm

You could also try here:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

But be careful, it's addictive. I've purchased a rod and a reel from this forum in the last two weeks.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

salmonid

Post by salmonid » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Those two sites are the most popularly frequented vintage fly tackle forums on the 'net. Both are excellent in their respective areas of interest, vintage bamboo and fiberglass rods and vintage fly reels. I've been an active member on both sites for many years, both as a dealer and a buyer, having been with them from their infancy and through their evolution in hosts and site ownership up to the present. Standards of behavior and integrity are quite high on both sites.
As for your question, if you are restricting your search to American-made fly reels in that line capacity range you should look for an Ocean City #35 to go with your larger model Ocean City and the venerable Pflueger Medalist in the 1492 size. These are generally considered by collectors to be, ..."the older, the better"; one with a six-rivet spool, "sculpted" pillars and the (preferable to collectors) circular line guard or the more reasonably priced "Diamolite" square line guard. Both fish equally well and are distinguished by collectors only. No vintage reel collection is complete without one of the five or so sizes of the Hardy "Lightweight" series as made in Alnwick, England. However, MANY American tackle companies offered nearly exact, parts-interchangeable "clones" of the iconoclastic Hardy "lightweights". Look for the Heddon two-tone green "300" series; there were four sizes, the 300, 310, 320 and 340. You want the 300 size for a 4wf or the 310 for the next larger line. This same reel was offered by Berkley, Eagle Claw and numerous other manufacturers, having been actually made in Japan and sold through American dealers in the '60's into the '70's as well as hardware stores both here and in Canada. These same reels are available under an almost infinite number of labels and are classic, high-quality copies of English trout reels but are themselves vintage reels from the days of fiberglass fly rods. Collectors can get carried away on the cost of some of these if they are "new-old stock (NOS)", "new in the box (NIB)", etc. and have the original, undamaged box and original paperwork, etc. But find one in used condition (and there are hundreds of thousands of these out there so have a little patience) and you can reasonably pick up one of these in the $35 range, give or take. The market on these particular reels has softened a little of late. The original Hardy from which it was copied in similar condition might go for $200-$225 or more, "depending". But this IS addictive. Once you find a nice 300 Heddon, you may want to find the next larger size 310. Then you're only two reels from the complete set of four sizes. Then there are the Berkley-labeled reels, and Eagle Claws, Olympics, etc. .
As for rods, the Fenwick "ferrulite" rods are popular, nice casting rods in good supply and there are numerous other brands available. Stay away from the highly collected vintage models, both rods and reels and much of this equipment can be acquired at literally garage sale prices.
The two sites cited are the "go to" forums for the affliction you are exhibiting.
And remember that in fly rods and reels, there are no out-dated models, only out-dated marketing.
You HAVE been warned. :lol:

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Closely allied to vintage rods are new rods from Japan, since the Japanese love our vintage tackle and improve on our vintage production items with handmade art.
These will make your eyes bleed
http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/12929
Ron Mc

SunBoy

Post by SunBoy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for the reply and websites - I'm having fun looking through them, now I just need to show some restraint. I've been wondering, are there any reel designers on this forum? I have designed a reel with some features that I haven't seen on any existing reels on the market - they may be there, but I haven't seen them. I would be interested in getting some feedback on the design to gauge the interest, and see if it would be worth making a prototype. I don't know how to post pic's on here, but I could send the pic's of the SolidWorks model along with a description of the added features if some of the fishers here would like to review the design.
-S

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:50 pm

there are a bunch of reelmakers here: http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/forums/93
and somewhere out there is a board dedicated just to reelmakers.
The FFR board had a post of their "pay-it-forward" where each reelmaker received a reel then sent his handmade to the next guy - all for evaluation.
Ron Mc