NEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BASS ON THE FLY FISHING TOURNAMENT

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

tedwarren

NEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BASS ON THE FLY FISHING TOURNAMENT

Post by tedwarren » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:33 am

Wanted you all to know about this new tournament exclusively for fly fisherman targeting largemouth bass. It is on May 8, 2010 at Lake Fork, TX, USA. They are planning seminars, casting contests, and prize drawings so it should be fun. More details at www.bassonthefly.org.
Get a team together and take home the prize money and the team trophy!

jchristensen77

Re: NEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP BASS ON THE FLY FISHING TOURNAMENT

Post by jchristensen77 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:17 am

eh... Tournaments dont mix with fly fishing in my opinion. But, Im sure many will disagree with me... scratch that, I guarantee many will disagree with me. Which makes me wonder why I posted this.... :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

tedwarren

Post by tedwarren » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:42 pm

I haven't heard that before. Let's give it a try and see if there's interest.

daleconnally

Post by daleconnally » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:15 pm

Hang in there Ted. There must be a market out there. Sage and TFO wouldn't be making those "tourney legal" bass rods if they didn't think they could sell em. Cast a wide net with your PR!
Good luck.
Dale

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 pm

The talk of tournaments usually don't sit well with a specific sec of fly fisherman - the trout purists. But look at the salt water game - there are tons of tournaments all over the world for that from flats, to surf, to offshore. Bass should be no different - I like it. It gives someone with the skills and passion to be recognized and find a way into the industry.

Now I personally don't see how a trout tourney could be done on a river like Guad, so that is fine with me that there aren't any. But then again, I prefer an azul tropic flat over a spring creek any day of the week.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

MHawk82

Post by MHawk82 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:09 pm

There is also the Jackson Hole One Fly tournament for trout. One preselected fly per day for 3 days. You lose it and you are done for that day. I lived there for a few months during 2009 and had to leave shortly before the tournament. I wasn't going to enter, but it would have been nice to see it.

Mike

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Well, at least bass tournaments practice catch and release!
David

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm

d ayer wrote:Well, at least bass tournaments practice catch and release!

Good point David...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:28 pm

I fished many Bass tournaments over the years and enjoyed it thoroughly. I would fish this one if I knew Lake Fork better. But as in most tournaments knowledge of the lake is critical to doing well in the final standings. I never fished a tournament just to go fishing, if I fished, I expected to get in the top 10, maybe even win.
As far as flyfishing tournaments, we used to have a flyfishing tournament on Lake Austin every year around Mother's day. The Austin Angler used to host the tournament called the "Perch Off". It was a legendary tournament, really a spoof of a tournament, where you brought in your 5 largest Perch to the scales (a set of triple beams to get it to the nearest gram).
It was a fun tournament, no money involved, where the winner was allowed the privilage of drinking from the sacred porcelain chalice (actually a commerative Jim Beam Perch Bottle) anytime you wanted (and it was kept in the Austin Angler at all times). The rules of the tournament included things like: only flyfishing gear could be used with floating or sinking lines, being able to throw rocks in the areas that your competitors were fishing, any Bass caught was grounds for disquailification if another competitor saw you land it (this also lead to a series of shake off rules), You had to fish only on lake Austin and between Red Bud Island and the Congress Bridge after I almost won the tournament with my famous lower lake pattern close to Longhorn Dam. The infamous Lower Lago Controversy lead to a rule change to exclude the lower lake. All the rules were made up by Robert McCurty, the only rule master of course, after he found out I was catching 3/4-1 lb RedEars, RedBreast, Googleyes, and BlueGills down there. Robert did not like losing and he had an upper lake pattern that won many of the tournaments. I would have won too if not for an unfortunate thunderstorm the night before that muddied everything up, before the success of my pattern was known and the subsequent rule change. You could used any watercraft you wanted: floattube, canoe, johnboat, whatever, so long as it was non-motorized including electric trolling motors. The best part other than the actual fishing was the party afterwards at the Austin Angler. Lots of food and drink was shared and fishing stories passed around like a virus. That was back in the good old days of the 20th century.
Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedwarren

Post by tedwarren » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 pm

Sounds like it was great fun.
I hope we can make the Lake Fork event an annual competition between fly fishing clubs around the state, the country, and eventually include international clubs.

dlcole
Site Admin

Post by dlcole » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:23 pm

I had the opportunity to fish with Rob Woodruff a couple of weeks ago...this tourney came up in the discussion. Initially, he was mentioned as participating. He responded that he would NOT be in the tourney and they had to remove him from the web pages... Personally, I'm not sure where I stand on fly fishing tournaments...maybe we should just leave them to the guys with the 70mpg bass boats and corporate sponsorships? Fly Fishing is a "gentlemens" sport and needs to stay that way...IMHO (in my humble opinion).
David

tedwarren

Post by tedwarren » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Thank you for sharing your opinion.
As I understand his objection is to the potential harm to fish by non-boaters (those fishing from float tubes, kayaks, etc.) who do not have an aerated livewell.
Many of the fly fishermen I know do not have a big bass boat and I wanted to include them. Personally, I have kept fish alive all day while fishing from my float tube.
To minimize the risk to the fish, non-boaters may weigh-in only one fish (boaters can weigh-in five) and they can weigh them in at any time. They do not have to hold them all day. We will encourage the non-boaters to transport their one fish in a cooler with a small battery-powered aerator placed in it. (This worked well for another tournament I participated in.) At weigh-in no fish should be out of the water more than 30 seconds.
And, no dead fish may be brought to the scales at all, contrary to most regular bass tournaments where most often dead fish incur a small penalty.
If we see a problem with the fish from non-boaters we will modify the tournament next year.
We are also contacting a couple of companies about making a rubber net (like the new trout nets) fish basket which would lessen any damage to the fish's protective film.