Reimer's Ranch

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

bassackwards

Reimer's Ranch

Post by bassackwards » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:24 am

How fishable is it without a boat? I'm tempted not to bring my kickboat. I heard that they don't let you park near the river anymore. I also heard that you can drive down to drop off your boat, but the road may be rough. Are the roads OK for my Honda Fit?

jchristensen77

Re: Reimer's Ranch

Post by jchristensen77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Hey bassackwards,

I was there this past Saturday. The fishing was excellent, but the etiquette was much to be desired. I'm sure most of the folks who go there regularly know this, but I personally had guys with electronics buzz right into sections where I was catching fish. This has happened many times in the past, but when I saw these guys in bass boats actually run a gentleman and his young daughter out of a spot, I had to speak up politely. Needless to say, it didn’t go over well.
So long story short.... The fishing is good - I caught all of my fish on a basic gray and white clouser... but Reimer's is unfortunately a spot where you need to have a thick skin. :roll:

Back to the fishing, if you don’t have a boat like me, be sure to have a sinking line (or at least a sink tip) to fish the area directly adjacent to Reimer's. I'm not a fan of the "chuck and duck" (hooked my self on too many occasions) so I will go upstream closer to where Hamilton Pool Reserve is and fish the pocket water with a floating line and a longer leader. Also, by going further up (almost to Hamilton Pool Road) you will usually be able to get away from some of the more rude meat fishermen that can quickly spoil your day. From now until the blue-bonnets go away, you’re in prime time. And with the water in both the Pedernales and Lake Travis, I wouldn’t be surprised to see schools of fish upstream from Hamilton Pool Road crossing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks for the info. Do you hike all the way up to Hamilton Pool Rd from Reimers?

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:07 am

You can hike / wade up to Hamilton Pool Road from Riemer's although its a bit of a hike. I try to stay in the water as much as possible, as some of the land is private property, and I think the rangers at the preserve will hastle you if they see you fishing from the preserve's shore. There are many nice holes on your way up there, and its a great way to spend an afternoon...
I am lucky enough to have my wife drop me off at the crossing.... She can shop at the Galleria for awhile and I can catch and release dozens of whites.... Its a win-win...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:58 am

The road to the upper parking area was no problem for my Honda Fit. Some people were spinning out further down the road, so I opted not to go any farther. After hiking down the road, I saw that I probably could have made it all the way down. The trick would be to stay out of the deep ruts.

The fishing was a bit slow. I managed to catch 4 off of the sandy bank on the opposite side of the river. It would have been better with a boat.

BTW, I hit Tejas last weekend. There were a few pods of small males that had been there for a week. They were extremely spooky, since people have been lobbing lures at them constantly. I managed to catch 2 on 1/32 ounce jigs and ultralight spinning tackle. The run hasn't really started there, but it should be soon.

dobber

Post by dobber » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Avoid the weekends at all cost. It's too much of a hassle. Everybody is everywhere and it matters not where you are... :|