Catching Carp

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

kmitschke

Catching Carp

Post by kmitschke » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm still very new to fly-fishing and haven't yet gotten hooked up with a carp--something I want to do badly. Today I was staring down a school of probably 50 or so carp but couldn't get them to bite anything. I tried a bunch of different flies, but no luck at all. Any tips for carp fishing? I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks

castell

Re: Catching Carp

Post by castell » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Were they actively feeding? If they were suspended in a current and not actively feeding on the bottom then your are better off trying to do a little snagging. If they were nose down, putting up little mud balls then put on a buggy nymph in the #6-12 range and slow strip it over their nose. I like heavy stonefly nymphs or small buggers in darker colors with a good amount of weight. Fish on a long (9'-12') leader and a loop-in sink tip is helpful.

Also, where were you? If you were on the Guadalupe and the carp you saw were all 15-24", you might have seen the Redhorse Suckers staging for their spring spawn.

For more: Got Carp? From CGS.com** One thing I forgot to mention in the article is that I typically use a fast action 6wt rod for carp in the Hill Country but will bring along my 8wt from time to time.

dc

**Right click the link and open in another page to stay on this site, otherwise you will be redirected.

kmitschke

Post by kmitschke » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Yes, they were suspended, except for about a span of 2 minutes when 4 or 5 of them leaped out of the water. After that they were just hanging tight about 3 feet down.

I was fishing in the Colorado, are the Suckers there too? Because all of the fish were around that 15"-24" range.

Thanks for the article, I'm about to read it right now. When do the carp normally feed? Every time I go to this particular place the big school is in the exact same spot, and they are always suspended the exact same way.

castell

Post by castell » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:32 pm

I have never noticed a particular feeding pattern for carp but typically when I see a school of carp will start looking for mud plumes. If I see feeding fish I will work to those fish, if there are no plumes I will keep looking for bass.

There are both suckers and carp throughout the Hill Country. The body shape is different between the two types of fish and quite often you will find them mixed in with one another.

bassackwards

Post by bassackwards » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:20 pm

I have seen both suckers and carp in the Colorado. Jumping tends to indicate that they are more interested in spawning than eating.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Type in "fly fishing for carp" in your search engine. I did and there is whole culture of carp fisherpeople! Amazing
David

l.skirk

Post by l.skirk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:53 am

Caught 5 carp at Reimers on small white jigs this week along with a bunch of white bass. Water is so clear you can actually cast to singles and pods of fish.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:41 am

Location brain malfunction....... Reimers is on the Medina?
David

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 am

Reimers is on the lower Pedernales off Hamilton Pool Road in Bee Cave (Travis County)...

The whites are thick there right now, and the carp are everywhere....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks,
I was thinking of Reude's Ranch.

Ron Mc. says the Lake Medina is too low right now for the whites to move up.
David

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I went out to Reimer's last weekend, Friday night for 15 minutes of action and 8 fish (drove well over an hour round trip just for 30 minutes of hiking and 15 fishing), then Saturday again. Didn't see any carp either time, Friday evening was fun, but Saturday the front had screwed up the fishing. Plus, you could have sworn there was subway stop there - absolutely packed.

That raised some concert to me since the females aren't even there yet and the spawning ground is getting hammered. I know people say "there are tons there, its ok" but the males are getting weeded out before the females even get there. One practice is to protect spawning grounds. I don't have bass data to back up any of this concern, but I read too many articles about fish populations that say "should have done something eariler."

Back on topic, I recently got back access to some private waters where the carp are thick and plan to fish for them. I'll post what works.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

MHawk82

Post by MHawk82 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:27 pm

I like to use small black woolies or small crayfish patterns. Not sure if they'll work there, but its what I use in Ohio.

Mike

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Coconut Groves wrote:That raised some concert to me since the females aren't even there yet and the spawning ground is getting hammered. I know people say "there are tons there, its ok" but the males are getting weeded out before the females even get there. One practice is to protect spawning grounds.
Interesting point. I was there yesterday, and saw the spawning grounds upstream from the Reserve getting hammered! Everyone had limits, and were telling me that I should keep my limit to avoid over-population and stunting of the fish. I tend to release all of my fish. I'm not familiar with the fecundity or biology of whites, but I find it hard to believe the 10 John boats X 20 limits (at least) dont have an adverse event on the white bass fishery? But this is just an observation, and I dont have the science to back it up....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:45 pm

I did some reading and whites are susceptible to stunting, so that is why the limits exists the way they do. Easy enough - I usually only keep 1/2 my limit anyways on whites. One the last time I got into a big school on Buch we kept close to 40 and that was too much fish to clean!

Back on carp, my buddy was at Reimer's over the weekend and said he saw a school of about 100 of them above the falls. You spook one though and they are all gone. Picky buggers.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"