Upper Guad

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

pav

Upper Guad

Post by pav » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Has the upper Guad recovered from the drought? I am planning a 5 mile canoe trip with a lady friend of mine. We may Flyfish any comments will be appreciated on floatability or fishability! Thanks Paul
put off everything to go flyfishing

pav

Re: Upper Guad

Post by pav » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:38 pm

With all the rain flow won't be a problem. So thanks for all the replies. LOL Enjoy the frigid rain.
Paul
put off everything to go flyfishing

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:24 pm

The upper river is flood right now, check out the guages.....
http://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=tx&w=map
I would wait a while till the sections above Comfort are below 100cfs, mid-river to Canyon Lake below 200-250cfs.
And even at those levels you need to be a very good paddler and swimmer because of all the deadfalls and debris in the river.
Jimbo

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm

I have doing a bunch of reading about Rebecca Creek, and the Guadalupe River right before it spills into Canyon Lake. After much driving around a couple of weeks ago (and getting a bit lost) I found a boat ramp that was off FM-306 and down Tanglewood Drive in the town of Canyon.
I believe the name of the ramp was named “Boat Ramp #11”, but the ramp was closed, and it didn’t look like anything more than a swamp. Am I in the wrong area here? My aim is to find some nice flowing water to wade in to intercept the spring whites when they run with my five-weight. Google Earth looks promising, but the water directly at the boat ramp looks more like a drainage ditch. I know it’s a bit early still, but I just wanted to try a different spot this year instead of my usual spot in Marble Falls.
Its a bit closer to me now, and I cant think of a better thing than hitting some of the leases, driving up the road and trying out some of the white bass with larger streamers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Google Maps is your friend.....
http://maps.google.com/
But the short course, 311 and Rebecca Creek Road cross the Guadalupe and Cypress Cove Road crosses Rebecca Creek.
Also "The Roads of Texas" at Mapsco.
Jimbo

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:01 pm

jchristensen77 wrote:I have doing a bunch of reading about Rebecca Creek, and the Guadalupe River right before it spills into Canyon Lake. After much driving around a couple of weeks ago (and getting a bit lost) I found a boat ramp that was off FM-306 and down Tanglewood Drive in the town of Canyon.
I believe the name of the ramp was named “Boat Ramp #11”, but the ramp was closed, and it didn’t look like anything more than a swamp. Am I in the wrong area here?

No, that used to be a prime area before the drought. There was a nice little stream going up the creek area (to the right facing the ramp) where fish would pile up and one could do very well when the water was flowing- but you need a boat. Looking like a swamp is better than a few months back- at least you can float a small boat, canoe or pontoon to the main river which is to the left facing the ramp. Better than having to drag or hand roll a boat 300 yards on dry creek bed. No wade fishing without at least a float tube to cross over to the flat areas on the other side here, but the bank fishermen do well.

My aim is to find some nice flowing water to wade in to intercept the spring whites when they run with my five-weight. Google Earth looks promising, but the water directly at the boat ramp looks more like a drainage ditch. I know it’s a bit early still, but I just wanted to try a different spot this year instead of my usual spot in Marble Falls.

Not early, whites have been thick since middle December, but the weather hasn't been conducive. Also have to deal with the pesky power boats in this #11 area. Rebecca bridge is probably your best bet once the water slows to a decent, wadeable level, both up and down stream

Its a bit closer to me now, and I cant think of a better thing than hitting some of the leases, driving up the rhttp://www.grtu.org/forums/posting.php?mode=qu ... =19209#oad and trying out some of the white bass with larger streamers.

Pon comments above

jchristensen77

Post by jchristensen77 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:58 am

Great.....
Thanks for the info. Google allows you to go into street-level view (click the yellow guy, and drag it onto the bridge at Rebbeca Creek Road.

Here is a general pic I snagged off of the internet.... Image

I am under the suspicion that parking is an issue at Rebecca Creek Road crossing?
There are a couple of ways to "sneak" yourself a parking spot on the Pedernales River at Hamilton Pool Road, but I get the suspicion that there is zero tolerance for parking at the Rebecca Road Crossing of the Guadalupe?
I don’t have any flotation device, just looking for a few nice lazy days this spring to do battle with some whites, and whatever else may want to hit a fly... and get away from the crowds at the leases for a bit.... :P
If anyone has any further tips that they don’t want to burn by posting here, feel free to PM me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
><~}}}}]]*>
><~}}}}]]*>

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am

No problems parking whatsoever at the bridge area, the signs clearly mark where the limits are.

Wade fishing will have to wait until the flow is way slower than now, maybe down to 100 or so.

You can access at the apron on the bridge, but there is about 50 yards of rapids immediately downstream which are hard to negotiate. The west side on both up and downstream are clearly no trespass, and I have seen a posting on kayak forum that the upstream owners are pretty hard core about it. The east side downstream was not marked last winter, but has some pretty rugged terrain right near the bridge which can be negotiated with extreme care through the shallows. East side upstream is deeper and faster current near the bridge, which is dangerous due to possibility of being swept under bridge. I use a pontoon to access and there is good whites action this time of year, the closest about a mile downstream right above any of the rapids areas. There are a couple of public access points and fee places upstream closer to 281.

I have seen postings on this forum by wading flyfishermen, that fish these areas, you should be able to find tips in the archives from previous years about this time.

Hope this helps.

Pon

jchristensen77 wrote:Great.....
Thanks for the info. Google allows you to go into street-level view (click the yellow guy, and drag it onto the bridge at Rebbeca Creek Road.

Here is a general pic I snagged off of the internet.... Image

I am under the suspicion that parking is an issue at Rebecca Creek Road crossing?
There are a couple of ways to "sneak" yourself a parking spot on the Pedernales River at Hamilton Pool Road, but I get the suspicion that there is zero tolerance for parking at the Rebecca Road Crossing of the Guadalupe?
I don’t have any flotation device, just looking for a few nice lazy days this spring to do battle with some whites, and whatever else may want to hit a fly... and get away from the crowds at the leases for a bit.... :P
If anyone has any further tips that they don’t want to burn by posting here, feel free to PM me!!

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 am

All the ramps on the lake should now be back open with the present lake levels