Llano River Last Weekend at Oktoberfisch

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

jacofish

Llano River Last Weekend at Oktoberfisch

Post by jacofish » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Totally awesome event and I can't wait for next year.
Here's our camp almost set up.
And getting ready for the short shuttle our first day from flat rock put-in.
And a few of the fish I caught on the fly.
One of the bigger bass.
Next morning when I walked out of the tent, the picture doesn't even do it justice.
After the breakfast tacos for breakfast and a quick discussion about the river, I took a shuttle up to the south llano river state park for the long float option. The day started off slowly and I didn't catch a single fish until about noon, and that was on a blue roostertail on my spinning tackle.
Then after I had passed probably four or five good pools and runs I switched to a plastic grub on a jig head. And in the first hole, bam chunkiest fish of the day for our group so far.
Well big for a guadalupe, and for the water I pulled him from.
The release, and the pink wristband is to show we're registered for the event.
Then in another run about one hundred yards downstream i hooked another but almost lost him when the curret tangled him against a log. By this point the others wanted to know what I was using, because in five minutes with this lure I had doubled what I had caught all morning. I knew it was gonna be a good day after this.
One more of the ones i photographed, but I had prolly caught a good thirty fish by now.
We think this was a nutria, and on another stretch of the river, two otters were spotted, which like everyone i doubted until i saw them with my own eyes the next morning.
Another fish
By this point my brother who had taken a shuttle an hour or two later caught up to me on the river and with no luck on his fly rod either I was preparing to share my spinning rod despite the fact the plastic on the lure was shredded and any fish could finish the lure off for good. But when we stop and I tell my brother a bit about what water he should be looking at to maybe get some luck he says doesn't over there look good. And so I take a cast and once the fish is on I respond yeah. However, he blackmailed me with the picture in exchange for a few casts.
In my holding net, definately a help to keep the fish healthy.
the release
we paddle downstream a bit and my brother hooks up on the second or third cast.
We paddled downstream for another couple miles and in one incident I saw a spot that looked good so i picked up my rod and cast, and by the time i reeled the slack up I had a fish on and my brother was just like that is unbelievable.
But it wasn't until downstream that things really got good. By now we were floating the same stretch from the night before, and i stop at one hole that i tried to fish the first time through, but didn't get a chance after a flotilla of kayakers and two guys on pontoons went through. Anyways on my second or third cast I feel a strike and proceed to reel in the heavy bulk of what i know is a big fish, and after calling my brother over i land a chunky guad, but not the size i thought it was in the current. So i drop him in the landing net, and on the next cast, bam Whoaa this one is huge, its a monster I can feel it. It was another guadalupe about the same size. and in the net he goes. One more cast, I mean this spot is pretty sweet, and bam. "Oh my god, this one is gonna be huge, a freaking monster", I say. "Yeah right", my brother says. But i had seen the flash under the water and unlike the other two this one actually was turning back and swimming against my drag. And once my brother see's it he agrees it is definately bigger than the other two. So i get him in the net.
My brother had set down his fly rod during the whole ordeal and when he picked it up he says I think theres something. And sure enough
the first rio grande
After that he agrees we'll take pictures of all of mine from the smallest to biggest, so I grad the first Guadalupe and whoops, he slips outta my hands. Oh well two left.
NO wonder he felt big, his fat football body really faced resistance in the water.
Trophy shot.
He was eleven inches and the other was the same give or take an inch.
The other one was a largemouth. The first I have ever caught from a river or that I can really remember.
15.25 inches and the monster of the weekend
You bet I was happy
And holding up that bucketmouth
I lost the lure after that, and didn't catch anymore in the last half hour of the float, but still was still happy when we got back to camp. The next day before leaving we went out and on a different jig I caught five more but nowhere near that largemouth and I only took a few pictures, but am tired of posting by now.
Kiss My Bass!

Matt Bennett

Re: Llano River Last Weekend at Oktoberfisch

Post by Matt Bennett » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Great pictures. I don't get to fish the Llano as often as I like, and this photo essay really has me itching to go.

Ron Mc

Re: Llano River Last Weekend at Oktoberfisch

Post by Ron Mc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:30 am

that is really a hoot, Jake. But we gotta get you rotating your photos - I'm getting a crick in my neck. :mrgreen:
Great photos, friend.
Ron Mc