Fishing in the rain

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

erhd55

Fishing in the rain

Post by erhd55 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Short narrative with pics:

In spite of the rain, we deicded to fish a local hill country creek today. I fished my TFO glass rod with a Teeny BS-100 with a few cat's whiskers.

- Edward -

BigCliff

Re: Fishing in the rain

Post by BigCliff » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:56 am

Geez that first bass was skinny. Guess there's likely alot like that after the summer we've had.

Looks like a fun day.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:05 pm

At least someone is still fishing. I will sure be glad when I get the R32 running again. I still have another week or so before it's back on the road. Then I will be able to start hammering the hill country streams and the coast again.
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:48 pm

I was homebound Sunday until mid-afternoon. At that time, I drove up to Brushy Creek in Round Rock hoping to wet a line. If I had continued on Brushy Creek Road that's not all I would have wet. Not only was the creek a brown torrent, but about a mile past the first bridge from Sam Bass Rd, it had flooded the road. Talk about a monsoon.

Glad your luck was better, Ed.

Matt Bennett

Post by Matt Bennett » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:30 pm

I tried to fish Brushy on Sunday as well Alex...I didn't realize it had rained that much. Looked like a big river of Yoohoo. Supposed to get more this week too, so it might be a while before it's fishable again.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am

the key was reading the USGS to find where there was only light runoff
The creeks and rivers along the Guadalupe/Pedernales divide was the place to be; however, in one spot where we know the big fish live, the water looked like ovaltine. Moving downriver a bit, we all found clearer water and tenuous, but hungry fish
and say what you want about size, Cliff, Texas brook trout are fun on the right tackle.

Edward, glad you guys had a successful day.
Ron Mc

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:59 am

Ron Mc wrote: and say what you want about size, Cliff, Texas brook trout are fun on the right tackle.
I said they were skinny, not small. The size of the body on that one compared to its head told me it was HUNGRY. I ain't knockin it, I love catching our speckled pickles as much as anybody.

This guy from the Medina was bigger, but the similar head/body proportions tell me he's also dined more like Gahndi than Flozell Adams during his life.Image
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.