Buffalo River, Ar.

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

maxh

Buffalo River, Ar.

Post by maxh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 am

This is part of a longer thread on the Arkansas Flyfishing board. I wanted to share here as well. The original thread is at
http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri.yu ... topic/5697
Putting in, just past the bridge at Dillards Ferry Wed. afternoon
ImageThe next morning, after it dumped on us all night
ImageMajestic bluffs ushered our way-
ImageDrum roll please.............. First Arkansas smallmouth
Image..... Things only got better...Image
ImageThese otters scurried into the water when I tried to get closer for a photo. When they resurfaced upstream, the momma had a bass in her mouth!
ImageNo, I am not snagged on a rock here
Imageit's a good bass
ImageThe journey continues...
Image longear
ImageThese next photos give an idea of our kayak rigging. I made it work with two large drybags, my trusty milk crate for loose items and tackle, and a sack full of dehydrated meals
ImageMike wasn't as spacially challenged as I was
Imageand of course we didn't pack any water in, MSR mini-works pump worked great
Image That buffalo river water goes great with Knob Creek too!Happy hour-
ImageMike caught some pigs!
ImageMisty Mountain Hop
ImageHooked up-
ImageImage
ImageWe camped under elephant rock the last night. We met a hunting guide who told us there was a Black bear that had been coming down and walking along the beach with her cubs recently, but we didn' get the pleasure of their companyImage
Imageapproaching the mouth of the buffalo
ImageWe made the mouth of the Buffalo and the confluence with the White about 11:00 am Saturday, if we were a little groggy from 3 late nights and early mornings, the cold clear water of the White was certainly an eye opener
ImageOur truck was parked at Shipps Ferry so we managed 6 miles of the White. Here's Mike hooked into a nice Rainbow
ImageHe also landed this fat 18" Brown,among others
ImageIt only took us about 3.5 hrs to get to our shuttle with the flows but we each managed about 10 trout. I hadn't brought a net so I didn't photograph any in order to get them back in the water as quickly as possible. Thanks again to everybody for the advice. We'll be talking about this one for a long time and hopefully be planning a return trip soon- Max
Last edited by maxh on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Argyros

Re: Buffalo River, Ar.

Post by Alex Argyros » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 am

Sounds like a wonderful trip in a beautiful part of the country. Thanks for the photo essay.

maxh

Post by maxh » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks Alex,
I need to edit this -Iwas in a hurry this morning and pasted my post from the Arkansas site here and it looks pretty sloppy, I'll work on it.
Max

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:27 pm

Cool to see more stories about Texas Flyfishermen prowling around notable waters.
Good work! I need a little reminder what it is like as I have been too busy to wet a line myself lately.
Jimbo

stiles

Post by stiles » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Looks like a great trip!

~~~ ><Ǽ>

maxh

Post by maxh » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:48 pm

Finally got it edited and got those last two pictures worked out.

I highly reccomend this trip to any one who wants to ffyfish for bass in an absolutely beautiful and pristine wilderness area, not to mention the trout fishing they have. We will definitely be going back.
Max