Llano

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Alex Argyros

Llano

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:14 am

Just returned from a four day vacation on the Llano. We stayed at Terra Firma, a lovely cabin on 25 acres with river frontage near London. The cabin is wonderful as is its situation: beautiful hill country topography and a back porch from which to enjoy it. The temperatures at the porch stayed in the 70's until almost noon, and at night, the stars were magnificent.

The Llano is murky downstream of Junction. Perhaps it was the murkiness, but I caught very few fish on the Llano itself (I only got to fish early in the morning, the rest of the day being devoted to family stuff). However, the property has a series of oxbow ponds that are off the main river yet still connected to it. These were flowing crystal clear. It required some stealth, as well as long leaders and small flies, but the ponds yielded a lot of fish, chief among which were a good number of Rio's.

I don't know if the Llano is fishing well downstream of the cabin, but, on one of our trips, we did cross it several times and, it seemed that the farther downstream we got, the clearer the water. We got as far as the James River crossing and there, although not clear, the river was noticeably clearer than at the cabin.

The flows are great. In fact, the Llano is rather high.

TrentW

Re: Llano

Post by TrentW » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Thank you for the update Alex. It is nice to see you out harassing the fish! We need to fish again soon.
TW

nw5s

Post by nw5s » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:18 pm

First post to the board...

Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the same cabin in October for a little fishing and relaxation with my family. What flies/nymphs/streamers did you use? I'll be fishing with a 6 wt. rod.

Many thanks!

Bruce
nw5s

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Bruce,

I've sent you a pm.

Alex

nw5s

Post by nw5s » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Anyone tried using soft plastic lures on the Llano... like lizard or worm patterns... with light spinning tackle? I absolutely killed smallies on the Illinois River in Oklahoma using 4" watermelon lizards on jig heads. Was wondering how Guadalupes might react to such a lure?

Best regards,

Bruce
nw5s

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Now that you mention it, I have had some success of late using 3" finesse worms fished with a fly rod.

beauju

Post by beauju » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Going to Llano in Nov. any fishing under the bridge at Lano.
If so what fish and what do you use
gb

nw5s

Post by nw5s » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:48 am

Finally have a chance to post about my trip to the Llano and TerraFirma... a very nice cabin near Yates Crossing. I didn't get a chance to fish much since I spent most of my time baiting and untangling my son's rig. We had fun, nevertheless. My son didn't catch any fish, but I managed to hook one small bass on a white/silver rooster tail with my spinning gear. Next time, I will return only with fly fishing gear. The river was a bit milky, but had good flows. Rains Saturday night produced a small rise in the river.

Best regards,

Bruce

Rafael Torres

Post by Rafael Torres » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:49 am

Hey Alex,
I also looked into the cabins on the Llano, I will be planning a trip for the family there in the next month. Thanks for the information.
Rafael ><~}}}}*>

"Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:48 pm

Good luck and be sure to give us a report.