Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

BigCliff

E Coli in the rivers

Post by BigCliff » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:11 pm

A nasty side effect of this damn drought, but wanted to spread the word-

http://www.bccourier.com/Archives/News_ ... D=090806N2

http://dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=0ae9eb83991507f8

Its not shocking that its in those two spots, and hopefully its not in the more turbid waters we fish.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

bhigdon

Re: E Coli in the rivers

Post by bhigdon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:32 am

Big Cliff,

There is still flowing water below Canyon Lake, although low, it is the same cfs as last year's flow at this time.

Your right when you say "Its not shocking that its in those two spots" the upper Guadalupe is really in bad shape. I also got a call from friend in Wemberly yesterday, county issued warning " Swim at your own risk in the Blanco & at Blue Hole"due to bacteria.

How have you been?

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm good.

I've fished near Junction and Comfort in the prior two months and had good times and caught good numbers. Sure hope we get some more rain, especially near Medina so that can be my home river again. I've got a 6wt Predator landing today and can't wait to bend it against some critters.

I'll be joining the lease program this year and will likely do the first orientation class in SA. I was checking the schedules and such on the site recently and saw they're not showing anything for this year yet. I bet I'm not the only one tired of the heat and already looking forward to cool days in waders, flask toasting, and big troots.

You floated the Colorado or San Marcos lately?
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:05 pm

San Marcos has been running a little low and also has tree down.

The Colorado is doing great, also Lady Bird Lake has been good.

I'm also ready for cooler weather.

jacofish

Post by jacofish » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 pm

Well I learned first hand about the E. Coli in Bandera when I drove up there for a fun day on the river with friends only to get that horrible news, which almost ruined our day. I hadn't heard about the E. Coli in the Guad tho and how likely is it that we would be affected further downstream?
Kiss My Bass!

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:31 am

Not likely.....as long as there is water in the lake, water will flow at around 50 cfs. Even though the lake is down, it is still in better shape than most other Hill Country Lakes.

becpa

Post by becpa » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 pm

Hi,

I live in Kerrville, and the problem has been solved.

There is a concentration of ducks in the city park, and there was a concentration of duck poop.

Things seem to be back to normal.

Bill