Trip Report: First time on the Upper Guad

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

OutdoorAg

Trip Report: First time on the Upper Guad

Post by OutdoorAg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm

First of all, a big 'thank you' to everyone who contributes to this site. I recently moved to San Antonio, and was VERY excited to find this forum and all the great information in holds. Now onto business...

I have been a "big lake, big fish" bass fisherman all my life. Upon moving to San Antonio from Houston, I couldn't wait for the opportunity to dip my feet into the Guadalupe, slow it down, and catch fish no matter the size.

After looking over my Texas road map, I decided to head North to Bergheim and take County RD 3351 toward Kendalia. The map showed a river crossing on 3351, and sure enough - A nice bridge with a place on the side to park and walk down to the water. There was quite a bit of human trash laying around. It looked like someone forgot to teach the local folk how to throw away beer cans. Anyway, I was already there, so I was going to fish!

I do not know how to fly fish, so I used some very light spinning tackle with 4lb test line. Here were the lures I tried today:

- 1/36oz Red-Craw Jig
- 1/16oz Green pumpkin Jig
- Green and Yellow in-line spinner with gold blade
- White and Black in-line spinner with silver blade
- Green and White Rapala Countdown Minnow

I wadded as far upstream as possible (about 200 yards) before running into a hole that looked too deep to cross. The banks were kinda steep, so I wasn't comfortable walking up onto someones land without permission. I wadded back downstream and found plenty of places to cast and wade. I went much further down stream before running into another deep hole. I might have considered pushing further, but I wasn't having much luck, and the sun was getting high.

I tried throwing all 5 baits that I had. I tried working them in all directions and presentations - up stream, down stream, and across. I was working on the assumption that river bass relate to structure or depth changes just like bass in a lake. With this is mind, I threw near submerged rocks, cypress stumps, and in the dark, deep shadows near the banks. The only luck I had was on the Green and Yellow in-line spinner. I connected with a small sunfish and a small bass. I saw plenty of sunfish, and a few good size bass (around 1lb). I did scare up one bass from behind a large boulder that looked like a sold 2 - 2.5lb fish. Now THAT would have been fun on the light tackle.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fine tune my approach? For the time being, I'm going to have to continue using the light spinning tackle that I have. Money is tight, and maybe I can get into fly fishing by putting it on my Christmas list. I was surprised to get skunked on the jigs. I thought those might be the ticket. Maybe I was fishing it too quickly? Not sure, tried to varying my approach all day. The one bait that I wished I had while on the water was a small top water popper.

Anyway, I had a ton of fun, and they call it fishing, not catching - right? Hoping to make another trip one day next week. I'm going to try and find a more detailed county map and see if I can find some other crossings that have less human contact.

On a side note - I was very impressed by the shoes that I picked up for wading. I picked up a pair of Crocs TrailBreaks. They had a closed toe, so it keeps the rocks out. The vents keep the water flowing. Plenty of traction on the bottom to give me a nice grip. Here is a link to the shoes if anyone wants to take a look: http://www.crocs.com/on/demandware.stor ... ow?q=10375

Only problem I had with the shoes was how they rubbed my ankle in a couple spots. I think maybe some synthetic wading socks - if they make them - would do the trick. Need to look around and see if anyone makes some.

Ron Mc

Re: Trip Report: First time on the Upper Guad

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:43 pm

Sounds like great exploring, but you're lucky you didn't get towed.
In Kendall County, the public right of way has been removed from all County roads following or crossing the river.
They enforce it actively from Zoeller Lane upriver to the county line.
(note that this does not apply to state roads, such as FMs within Kendall County)

Tiny jigs on light tackle are great.
I always hand my dad some tiny jigs with motor-oil-color plastic bodies, and they seem very effective in the clear water.
So think blend colors to catch smart fish - olive, gray, sandy brown
Ron Mc

OutdoorAg

Post by OutdoorAg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:58 pm

Ron - thanks for the heads up on the towing situation in Kendall County. Sounds like the only option is to find someplace to park on the side of the road that is not near the bridge, then hike it in. Am I reading that correctly? The right of way restrictions only apply at or following a bridge?

The Red Craw jig I was using had a motor oil colored body, and a orange-ish red-ish skirt. Almost like the sandy brown color you described. I guess I'll keep throwing and working it, trying to find a pattern that appeals to the fish.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 pm

Think small.....
For spinning gear I would suggest buying some small tube baits and jigs designed for Crappie fishing. Small spinners no bigger than a Mepps #1 with hair skirts. As far as plugs go the smallest plugs you can find no bigger than the 1/4oz size.
As far as inexpensive flyrods go I would look at the TFO series as you get alot for the money and definitely don't skimp on the flyline as it's the most important item. Scientific Anglers GPX weight forward floating line is the best all-round line.
Good Luck!
Jimbo

OutdoorAg

Post by OutdoorAg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Jimbo - Thanks for the tips on Crappie style jigs and tube baits. I'll pick up a few from Academy and give them a shot my next time on the water. Any tips for presentation? I wasn't sure if casting up stream or down or across stream would best - or if it even mattered.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:03 pm

OutdoorAg wrote:Ron - thanks for the heads up on the towing situation in Kendall County. Sounds like the only option is to find someplace to park on the side of the road that is not near the bridge, then hike it in. Am I reading that correctly? The right of way restrictions only apply at or following a bridge?

The Red Craw jig I was using had a motor oil colored body, and a orange-ish red-ish skirt. Almost like the sandy brown color you described. I guess I'll keep throwing and working it, trying to find a pattern that appeals to the fish.
Yes, that's it - you can park along any road that is a state road, such as an FM, and I've suggested to people to explore the county road crossings from a bicycle.
I have also heard of undisclosed county roads in Kendall where the constable told people it's OK to park, so the enforcement seems to be specific to the roads I mentioned above.
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:12 pm

The best presentations vary from day to day with jigs.
Rule #1: Flip it right in front of their face for reaction strikes,
Rule #2: Try casting upcurrent (Usually upstream) and swim it past their holding areas.
Rule #3: Try the Riffle trolling method, Stand above the drop, cast downstream, and swim the jig back up into the riffle close to the bottom.
Rule #4: Try casting across the current and swing the tube across and down.

These are the best presentations advice I can give anyone and they will work with any tackle.
Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:12 pm

OutdoorAg,
There are advantages to flipping spinners and not retrieving flys out of the low hanging trees behind you! Glad you are here and enjoy.

david
David

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:17 am

Don't know if you want to be parked too far from a bridge. I have seen cars ticketed with large prominent signs for towing when they're in no man's land. I guess someone considers them abandoned or something. Never seen that situation with cars parked in the designated parking near bridges. This was for Comal county though.

Pon
OutdoorAg wrote:Ron - thanks for the heads up on the towing situation in Kendall County. Sounds like the only option is to find someplace to park on the side of the road that is not near the bridge, then hike it in. Am I reading that correctly? The right of way restrictions only apply at or following a bridge?