Another Sunday Fishing with Ron and the Boys

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

Jimbo Roberts

Another Sunday Fishing with Ron and the Boys

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Today was a day, that although was fun, just not as fun as it can be, catching one right after another. Still with a good group of anglers piled into 3 cars, we headed to the upper Guadalupe. With the flows as low as they are we had to put a few anglers at this crossing and a few at the next and a few more up at another. Here is Ewel fishing just below the crossing catching a few Bass.....
I caught a nice little Bass and I'm glad I took a picture of it as it would be my only Bass of the day.....
Down from the bridge the stream became very tight and and we hopscotched each other working downstream through the pools.....
Ewel and myself moved quickly downstream looking for fish that would bite and they were few and far between for me.....
I was doing everything I could to break the secrets to unlock the jaws of the fish down here.....
Before I could count to ten caught fish, we were down at the lower crossing and walked back up the road to my truck. From there we moved upstream to one of the better crossing known to many. It was almost noon and with just about an hour to go, Ron and I walked downstream to fish the first deep pool. In years past this pool was in the middle of nowhere and fishing was easy, but since the owners built a camp here the fish have become very educated as to anglers and their tackle.
Walking down the camp side I was sure that I would be able to at least land some Perch here and possibly a Bass or two. Usually the Perch are Redbreast and Bluegills, but this trip I would catch all Redears except one lone Redbreast.....
Ron meanwhile was on the cliff side catching Bass and this spotted gar.....
I continued catching good sized Redears.....
Ron continued catching the Bass I couldn't.....
Just as I was starting to dial in the fish on this side Ron called out it's time to go. I was sure in the mood to continue on downstream to the next pool that I knew would be better as it was away from the campers. Today though it would have to end here, so I worked my way back upstream catching a few more.....
We all gathered back at the cars and told our fishing stories for the day while we took our wet boots off and put our gear away. It seemed that today I was the low man on the todem pole as everyone had better stories to tell than me, but that will happen every blue moon to me and that's OK. Next on the list was to see how much mexican food we could stuff in our bellies at Mamacitas in Kerrville and I think I bested everyone in this reguard.
Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

BigCliff

Re: Another Sunday Fishing with Ron

Post by BigCliff » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Good times. Glad there's enough water to keep those fish alive.

I think I'm gonna have to drive past the Guad and head to the Llano next weekend.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

Ron Mc

Re: Another Sunday Fishing with Ron and the Boys

Post by Ron Mc » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:33 pm

I didn't keep the camera very still today - I got these good shots, though

Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Ron, that's great underwater picture of the Cat's Whisker in the jaws of the Gar!
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 am

The nice thing about the Upper Guad is that, even when the fishing is slow, you can look around you and marvel at all that beauty.

Nice pictures, guys. Thanks.

erhd55

Post by erhd55 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:56 am

Although the fishing might have been a little slow this time out, being out on the river with a bunch of great guys made up for it. Here's my pics.

- Edward -

becpa

Post by becpa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi,

Did anyone see any evidence of the 500,000 + Guadalupe Bass that TPWD has stocked over the past four years.

Each year thousands of fingerlings are stocked at various crossings on the North and South Forks, and they are thought to grow three inches per year.

Theoretically, there should be some tremendous fishing about now, although the sizes may vary. With those numbers, someone should be catching twice as many or more Guadalupe Bass as sunfish.

If there is no evidence of survival, I would like to know and report it to the higher authorities.

Bill Emshoff
Kerrville, Texas

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:55 am

Where I fished on the North Fork I would catch only 1 Bass for the day and it was a Guadalupe. Looking at most of the other pictures I see Largemouths. But then again, they were mostly caught along a stretch that has some very big pools and you would expect a higher percentage of Largemouths. I usually catch many more Guadalupes where there the river has a more previlant riffle and run type of water. Jimbo