Llano River Flyfishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

jacofish

Llano River Flyfishing

Post by jacofish » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:35 am

Well sometime early last month i made a trip to the Llano river with my dad, and godfather. It was a kayak fishing trip but my godfather brought a pontoon in order to practice for Alaska. Overall the trip was a success, but future visits will be when the weather isn't soo hot.

Here is a pic while driving up.

Who doesn't love the hill country?!

And here they are setting up the pontoon. Just look at the fishy water behind them.

After we were all rigged up we started out heading upstream, but only paddled about 100 yards before hitting a rapid section that was like a quarter mile long. There was a side channel however that I waded and altho I couldn't catch any fish due to my sloppy casts in the clear water, I did see some very large bass and a channel catfish swimming around. There was a section of hundreds of tiny pools all feeding into each other that made kayaking near impossible further upriver but in one of the first holes I caught my first bass of the day.

No whopper, but you gotta start somewhere.

And here is a shot looking downriver from that location.

ANd a closer shot towards the bridge from upriver.

There was a nice seam in the current where it hit the bank at the end of the pool below the rapids, and I began casting towards the shore and stripping in my line and sure enough, bam I felt a nice tug on my five weight. After making several runs downstream or towards the bottom, this fiesty Guadalupe Bass was brought to the boat.

He ended up being the biggest of the day, but I honestly didn't fish as hard after I had caught him because it was so hot and I was spending a lot of time exploring this beautiful river.
His coloring was very pronounced and he put up a tremendous fight.
I didn't get a chance to measure him but heres a pic with him next to my wading boot(Size 12).
Later measuring puts this fish at about 12" which was respectable, but leaves room for improvement on the next trip.

By the time I finished the CPR session I had drifted downstream of the bridge and here is a classic paddling shot as I headed upriver to check on our fellow fisherman.

After several casts along one of the bridge pilings where I had spotted fish before, and a failed attempt at a spotted gar I managed another bass for the camera.

After a short rendezvous, my father headed upstream, while my godfather and I headed downstream to reach a nice little run that he had fished on his last trip. With the intense heat and the tempting water we stopped and took a swim at a spot with a limestone bottom and no weeds.

And here was the run about a mile downriver from the crossing.

We left the fishing "vessels"

and waded downriver making casts to the green water back in the shade under the trees. Good thing I was lagging behind because the monster bass I momentarily thought I had on my line turned out to be a fiesty sunfish who tried to use the current to his advantage.

At another little pool I caught four to five small bass as i watched them chase my fly down. However, they all unhooked themselves in the current when I set the back in the river to try and get out my camera. After fishing the spot for about fifteen minutes I realized that this fella had been there the whole time but since he didn't care about my prescence I decided not to be worried by his.

The drive home turned from good to better after a stop at a peach stand for some fresh peaches and homemade peach ice-cream. Overall a great trip in good company, and I can't wait to fish that river again.
Kiss My Bass!

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Llano River Flyfishing

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 am

I love that spot. That remnds me, I need to head that way as I have not fished the Llano this year. Great thing about the Llano is it's accessiblity, with many good crossing to get to different reaches. Thanks for the pictures and the story.
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am

The two rock gardens above that bridge are wonderful places to fish. With very little tree cover, the Llano does get very hot, but there is ample compensation in the clear water, and the numerous fish.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Alex

joetraff

Post by joetraff » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:52 am

Loved the pictures.
Keep it up.
I'm a web designer and here are two of my sites
how to make money online and
debt solutions

OutdoorAg

Post by OutdoorAg » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Anyone know where I can find a list of LLano River access points? Would love to drop a Kayak in for a nice float.

Kayaked the South Llano this summer. Used South Llano Canoe's as the outfitter. Nice man (forget his name) dropped us off, and we kayaked back to his place. Would love to try the other fork of the Llano towards Mason TX.

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Ag, get a copy of Kevin Hutchinson's revised edition of "Fly Fishing the Hill Country" available at most fly shops or directly from Kevin at Fish Head Press (http://www.fishheadpress.com/). It will give you tons of info about Llano access points as well as our other Hill Country gems...
Mark Dillow

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:45 pm

a brutal river with no clouds

howdy Jake, say hi to your Dad for me.
Ron Mc