Sunday on the Upper Guadalupe

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Sunday on the Upper Guadalupe

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Today was a special day for sure. Ron hosted a day of fishing for a group of anglers eager to hit this crossing on the Guadalupe. This crossing is on private property and Ron's friendship with the owners allows us access to one of the best reaches to flyfish. I was on the outting last year and could hardly wait when I heard we were going back.
Now I don't have any pictures to post as my parents took my camera for their trip this week to New Mexico. I'm sure the others who did bring theirs will post some soon enough. Almost everyone there today caught over 100 fish: Bass, Perch, and Catfish fishing from 9am till 2pm and that's something. My talley was well over 100 including catching a Channel Catfish on a popper. What a great day! Thanks again Ron and a special thanks to the owners who gratefully allowed us access. OH, and their only request was that we pray for rain! Check!
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Re: Sunday on the Upper Guadalupe

Post by Alex Argyros » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I had the privilege of joining Ron and the group for a fabulous day of fishing. I second Jimbo's sentiments. It was very generous of the landowners to allow us to use their property to access the river and of Ron to share this wonderful beat with others.

I should add that one of our group, Ken, caught a four pound catfish. Neither one of us had a camera, so our memory is the only record we have of the event. It was a magnificent fish.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Today was a special day for sure. Ron hosted a day of fishing for a group of anglers eager to hit this crossing on the Guadalupe. This crossing is on private property and Ron's friendship with the owners allows us access to one of the best reaches to flyfish. I was on the outting last year and could hardly wait when I heard we were going back.
Now I don't have any pictures to post as my parents took my camera for their trip this week to New Mexico. I'm sure the others who did bring theirs will post some soon enough. Almost everyone there today caught over 100 fish: Bass, Perch, and Catfish fishing from 9am till 2pm and that's something. My talley was well over 100 including catching a Channel Catfish on a popper. What a great day! Thanks again Ron and a special thanks to the owners who gratefully allowed us access. OH, and their only request was that we pray for rain! Check!
Jimbo
Dood, my phone works!
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 am

the cypress tunnel here is most of 2 miles long with just a few sunny breaks - the best way I know to beat the south Texas heat
in our drought the fish were really stacked up in any of these shady pockets
Ken is standing on a waist-deep hole (sorry I got the spider webs in front of his face) where we could see the fish and could certainly see them lunge for our flies
Texas brook trout
long ears
catfish - Ken caught a 4-lber
cropped out from a long way away...
The fish really don't get hit where we were
I sight-fished this puppy and got 3 casts before he finally grabbed the fly
I got some more photos from Edward and Steve, including warmouth and green sunfish, but I'll give them a chance to post them
Oh, and this is one of those places you can't afford the bribe to find out where we were, so don't even try...

Cliff, the outing was my fly fishing life group from Community Bible Church in San Antonio. We go out the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month (Sat Nite church). I can add you to my e-mail list.

Yes, please pray for healing rain for our land.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am

It looks like you guys hit the jackpot again. Nice pics! It is good to see Ken out and about too. Working Sundays sucks!
TW

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 am

Great outing guys.......Great water, good friends, lots of fish, it doesn't get any better. Great pics Ron, thanks for sharing.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 am

Ron Mc wrote: Cliff, the outing was my fly fishing life group from Community Bible Church in San Antonio. We go out the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month (Sat Nite church). I can add you to my e-mail list.
Don't mean to barge in, but I'd love the opportunity to fish the spots you're frequently posting.

We've recently joined UUMC and I've given thought to pioneering such a group there once we're less new and super baby-busy.

erhd55

Post by erhd55 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:39 pm

As we left from our fishing host's home, it really struck me how parched the land is and how low the rivers are. It can be tough making a living off the land. I'm praying for rain for the ranchers and farmers who make a living off the land and for those who enjoy the waters like we do.

Here's my pics.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:57 pm

Great pictures everybody. Edward's picture of that Warmouth is exceptional. I just love those light green colors mixed in with the other mainly dark scales on it's flanks. Jimbo

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:31 pm

I thought that must be a warmouth. Somehow I've still never caught one.

Was that TFO's glass rod in the picture? Heard wonderful things about that one.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Yeap, That's Edward's rod and I cast it back to back with my TFO Finesse rod. I was surprised how similar they cast. I think they said it was made with S glass also. I liked it and being just 6'9" it could be used in the tightest spots.
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:40 am

I have that rod too. It's sort of the anti-Tenkara rod. Or maybe it's the Goldilocks rod: too fast for traditional glass folks, too slow for the broomstick crowd, just right for me.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 am

Man, that is short. I've got a still shorter one I keep meaning to take and fish, but my 8' 5wt Avid makes 25-35' casts oh so easy and precise. Kinda craps out beyond 55' in the hands of this gorilla, but there's other rods for that.

erhd55

Post by erhd55 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:41 am

Cliff,

I just picked the TFO glass rod a few weeks ago from a fly fisher on another forum. I was using a Rio floating 6wt on a Loomis Venture reel and a Teeny BS-100 on a MZ34 reel.

The rod was easy to cast and I was able to put my flies where I wanted them to drop (most of the time). I've only been fly fishing for about a year and a half so I can't testify how other rods cast and feel, but I can say this - this rod is a "keeper".

The rod is just about perfect for the small creeks and puddles that I fish.

Edward

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:51 am

If you guys ever try my Water Witch, you will be ruined for life.

But I sure would like to see TFO continue with mid-length, mid-weight glass rods.

Alex, did you ever order a rod from Mike McFarland?
Ron Mc