103 in the Shade

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

103 in the Shade

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:46 pm

Everyday we hear the news about the worsting drought in central Texas. The heat and lack of rain are baking the Hill Country in a way that I have not seen in decades. But what can you do about it?
With what could be easily descibed as the worse drought since the 50's, water flows are down in our Hill Country rivers and I flyfish, which could be a bad combination. But the water is still flowing. So I picked out a crossing on the upper Guadalupe that I have not fished in several years.
Droughts come and go here in Texas and the land and it's creatures have long been exposed to such conditions. They have been tempered in the past and new generations are well equiped to get through these tough times.
The Bass and Perch still have to eat,... and I am just the man to catch them.
So on goes the poppers and I head downstream.
The Green Sunfish seem to like such conditions and are doing well....
I picked this crossing in particular. In years of normal flows many of these pools were difficult to fish. Walking down the middle would have ended in floating your hat, if not at least soaking the lower pockets of my vest.
But this year with flows of approximately 25 cfs here, you can see the river with new eyes, and fish like you couldn't before.
You can really see the low flows where the rivers necks down.....
Moving futher downstream in these Cypress tunnels one could easily imagine coming here just for the scenery.....
The fact that the flora and fawna manage to thrive through such conditions renews my faith for the future.....
And the fishing ain't bad either.....
So I move downstream again, casting back into the shadows of another Cypress tunnel.....
And the fish just keep coming.....
One after the other.....
And so it went as the hours pasted unnoticed. Every now and then the river treats you to something out of the ordinary, but not out of place in the natural world. A Red Tailed Hawk glided past me down river with something in it's talons. I did not make it out at first. I spooked it again from where it lit and this time I could tell it was something covered in fur. At the end of another pool I walked right up to where it was feeding. There in the tree I could see that it's prize was a rabbit....
I was amazed at how close it let me approach this third time without spooking.
It was time again to continue my downstream quest.
Another reach, another pool.....
Before I knew it, it was 2pm, but I didn't need a watch to tell me it was getting real hot even when I was spending time in waist deep water.
So I turned to look downriver one last time at the potential of even a drought and I was satisfied.....

bhigdon

Re: 103 in the Shade

Post by bhigdon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:02 am

Jimbo,

Thanks for sharing, your photos & adventure.

becpa

Post by becpa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Jimbo,
Over the past four years, Parks and Wildlife has stocked around 400,000 Guadalupe Bass fingerlings at crossings all along the North and South Forks and on down to Bear Creek just outside Kerrville in an effort to flush out the hybrids with pure strain.

Dis you see any sign of various sizes of these bass?

Some of the stockers from four years ago should be respectable by now.

Bill Emshoff
Kerrville

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:24 pm

That's a real good question.
This particular crossing is quite a bit downstream from Kerrville. Seems I am always catching a bunch of Guadalupes or their hybrids in the 6-12" range, with some smaller and a few larger. I wouldn't know how to tell if these are from those stockings. Certainly those stockings are having their effects. It has been just these last three years that I have been fishing the upper guadalupe with any frequency. Before that really only a handful of times over those many years.
I have fished on the North and South Fork crossings and down to the junction many times. And although I still catch Largemouths in some of the big pools, I think that I catch more Guadalupes every year. I hope my own personal experience is an indication of the surveys you are seeing.
I do endorse your groups efforts to raise monies for this Guadalupe Restoration project.
Jimbo

becpa

Post by becpa » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 am

We need a good flood to re-distribute the fish.

There will be good fishing everywhere shortly, not the little bitty fish but the 12-14 inchers.

Just right for a 3 weight. Leave the fighting butt at home.

This is an ongoing project. We already have enough money to do another year. It does not cost much in the first place, and TPWD really know what theyt are doing.

Bill

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Good show bro. Bass on poppers is hard to beat, even in the sweltering heat.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.