Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

BigCliff

Hill Country Summer

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:47 am

A report from Saturday: 80 caught and a new technique used:

http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =1&t=12074

Review of Tenkara:

http://thecontemplativedabbler.vox.com/ ... texas.html
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

Jimbo Roberts

Re: Hill Country Summer

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 am

Lefty and Pancho is a little melancholy,
I think your turning japanese
I really think so....
Tenkara seems an extension of Czech nymphing and or dabbling. Which rod did you select? Is this the first time you tried this technique? Did you actually use a traditional casting stroke or is this more of a swing? Fishing the tight Hill Country rivers I can see this working. Still you would have to be within the fixed rod/leader lenght from your quarry.
Next time you go let me know I would like to see this and give it a try.
Jimbo

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 am

I'm a big fan of long rods and short casts. For trout, I seldom use anything shorter than 10 ft. and I hardly ever cast more than twice the length of my rod.

So, the Tenkara method seems interesting for warm water fishing. However, I wonder about using big flies (weighted streamers, for example) with this method. You mention that you did use streamers with the Tenkara rod. Were they weighted? If so, how was casting and retrieving them? Also, did you use poppers and, if so, how was it retrieving them?

Also, what happens if you hook a large bass?

Alex

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Jimbo Roberts wrote:Lefty and Pancho is a little melancholy,
I really think so....
Tenkara seems an extension of Czech nymphing and or dabbling. Which rod did you select? Is this the first time you tried this technique? Did you actually use a traditional casting stroke or is this more of a swing? Fishing the tight Hill Country rivers I can see this working. Still you would have to be within the fixed rod/leader lenght from your quarry.
Next time you go let me know I would like to see this and give it a try.
Jimbo
Jeebus Jimbo, overcaffeinate much?

P&L is a bit glum, but the only youtube I could find from the album I had rolling all day.

I got the Yamame rod, as pictured. Its as close as one can get to an XP in Tenkara.
It was my first go at Tenkara.
The stroke is traditional-ish, but the motion is shortened due to the longer lever. 10:00 to 12:00 is about right, though the sidearm equivalent works fairly well too.
12' rod + 10'6" line/leader + 3' tippet = 25+' and you've still got an arm you can extend. I bet 95% of the fish we all catch are within 25', or we're just being silly.

I'll let ya know.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Alex Argyros wrote:I'm a big fan of long rods and short casts. For trout, I seldom use anything shorter than 10 ft. and I hardly ever cast more than twice the length of my rod.

So, the Tenkara method seems interesting for warm water fishing. However, I wonder about using big flies (weighted streamers, for example) with this method. You mention that you did use streamers with the Tenkara rod. Were they weighted? If so, how was casting and retrieving them? Also, did you use poppers and, if so, how was it retrieving them?

Also, what happens if you hook a large bass?

Alex
Alex, given your long rod proclivities, Tenkara sounds like a good fit for you. The biggest flies I used were a size 8 clouser, and a size 10 bugger-ish thing, each with 1/8" beadchain eyes. I felt a little thump when the backcast straightened out, but that was about it for casting weirdness. Well, it might be a little tougher to present a weighted fly delicately without using a sidearm cast, due to the fact that the casting plane will not be as low to the water as if you were using a 8' 5wt for example. The retrieve consists more of sweeping the rod tip away from the presentation so as to make it look alive, probably like you're used to doing with soft hackles for trout. I didn't fish poppers via Tenkara, but rather foam hopper patterns with a twitchy slow sweep away from the presentation. This worked well, but not nearly as well as the black foam ant I tried earlier. (The small size, white tipped, black foam cylinders wapsi sells. holy crap those worked well)

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the observations.

Did you get any decent size bass while fishing the Tenkara rod? I ask because I know that in Japan they use Tenkara to fish for little trout. I wonder if it's possible to land a nice bass with such tackle?

BTW, Pancho and Lefty is a great song. I love the version by Willy Nelson and Merle Haggard.

Alex

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:39 pm

Alex,
I didn't luck into any decent sized bass on it, but I don't expect them to be a problem. I think the rod will wear out any fish 5x tippet and the angler's knots can handle. I'll have to get back to you on the landing process for a larger fish though.

I do know that fish up to 16" considered manageable via Tenkara.