Another New Species Caught

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Another New Species Caught

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Well my forearm is finally starting to function after a long bout with tennis elbow. It's not 100% but it certainly can stand some light flyfishing. I was thinking about fishing the Llano, but I slept through my alarm and it was well after 9 when I got out of bed. I really should have it wired to dump a bucket of water on me when it goes off, I need to work on that. Well even with the Guadalupe just flowing 60cfs, at least it is close, so I would run up there for some afternoon fishing.
I started out fishing the big pools around Mountain Breeze. The river was not too crowded, but the water is easily slited up at these flow levels. I moved up the bank fishing small poppers at first catching Perch and the occasional Bass.
The catching was slow like it usually is during the middle of the day with all the tubers splashing around and doing what comes natural while floating down a river.
About 4pm I moved downstream to fish the River Bluff area. The first good move I made was switching to a Dragon Fly nymph. On the first cast I hooked and landed a nice Goggleeye.
It was the first of four I caught in the area.....
One was about 11-12", one of the biggest I've ever caught. Unfortunately, I left the fish in the water while getting my camera out and it slipped the hook. A few minutes later the river made up for it with a nice smallie.....
Working down river I added a charteruse prince as a dropper and it too paid off....
The catching was definitely improving now that most of the tubers were off the river.....
While fishing a great little hole I had another little tap. I set the hook. At first it felt like I hooked the bottom, but then it started to move downstream in the current. Just a steady slow move downstream. I was fishing 3X to the dragon fly and 4X to the prince so I decided to put some heat on my prey or I might loose to the current downstream. Slowly I stopped it's downstream march. I then turned it and now I had it coming towards me. Then it poked through the surface and there it was, another first for me on the Guadalupe.....

I'm not sure if it is a new species, but it was nothing like I've seen before. It definitely was a large mouthed critter.....
I think I will name it Ped Magnus Guadalupano.
Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

bhigdon

Re: Another New Species Caught

Post by bhigdon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Jimbo, have you tried behind Rocky Beach?

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:17 pm

I haven't fished Rocky in quite some time. I know there are fish there, but of course someone told me that it is best fished from a boat. Hint Hint.
Jimbo

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:21 pm

We need to do a float next week if you can. I been scouting some great spots.

fichef

Post by fichef » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:22 pm

As always, another great story from on the water Jimbo. No one uses the hook of suspense like you.
Ambiflydexterous:

The ability to tie a nail knot, or any other of several fly fishing knots, equally well with either hand.

---fichef's Glossary