Back on the Guadalupe

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Back on the Guadalupe

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat May 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Time to go stretch out my casting elbow and no better way than a little Perch Jerking. This was going to be a short trip to test my elbow, but hopefully not strain it again. So I revisited a spot on the lower Guadalupe I know that usually holds a bunch of Perch.....
I was hoping to run into some bedding fish, but these low water conditions have all the fish confused and I did not see many beds at all. With the full moon approaching this week I would have expected to see many beds in this stretch, but in fact I saw only a couple where in the past they were everywhere this time of year.
The first bend has a couple of good holes, but I saw several water snakes swimming around and I guess, this at the very least, had the Perch all freaked out as I caught only a few where I normally land dozens.....
I kept working upstream and finally found some good ones.....
In the a little side pocket behind a Cypress Tree I had a vicious strike as soon as the fly touched the water. There was a good tussel, maybe a little too much on the sore elbow. I was hoping it was a good Bass at first, but it turned out to be a Channel Cat.....
Moving further upstream I worked a bank that usually is covered up with fish. Well some were home, just not the numbers I would expect.....
Longears.....
Green Sunfish.....
Red Breast......
I jumped downstream below my put in and fished some of the big pools down there. Again I am not sure if it was the low flows, higher water temperatures, or just a slow day, but the strikes were a little farther apart. Still, some decent sized Perch were available......
and a good Bass.....
So it was little after 2 and time to call it quits before my elbow started really complaining. Walking back to the put in along the cliffs I stopped for lunch in the shade. The Jelly and Peanut Butter sandwich didn't last long and I took some extra time to enjoy the view.....
Not a bad day in numbers, but not a terrific one either. Then again maybe it was the powers above just taking care of me and my elbow to ensure that this summer won't be spent watching fishing shows instead of actually fishing.
Jimbo