June river fishing

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

BrianA

June river fishing

Post by BrianA » Sat May 30, 2009 11:57 am

Hi,

I am looking for information on fishing the Guadalupe in mid-June. My family is bringing me along for a Schlitterban trip and I was hoping to escape for some wade fishing. I guess the trout are done for the year but I'd like some bass and bluegill action. We will be staying below Canyon Dam of of FM 2673, about a half mile below the horseshoe. Any good spots around there to try?

What rod weight would you recommend? I was going to bring my Sage Smallmouth since it is shorter but maybe the weight is overkill.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

BrianA

Re: June river fishing

Post by BrianA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 pm

OK....after reading all the forum posts I understand no one is going to give up their sweet spots and honey holes. Fair Enough.

Let me redirect my question......

If I'm fishing below the dam with the low flows that are now going on, are there any decent spots fishing for bluegill and bass anywhere along that stretch? (Don't have to tell me where... just tell me if I'm pissin' in the wind...please)

Another question...

Can you wade most of that area with flows between 50 and 70?

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Brian:

Now one's trying to blow you off. It's just that the Guad is primarily a winter trout fishery, so this board doesn't get much action in the summer.

Best access to wade the river right now is probably by paying $5 to park at Rio Raft (4th Crossing @ River Road) and wading up or down from there. Fish the deep slots (dark green water) with large beadhead nymphs or woolly buggers, or the occasional popper (if there early or late). And fish the shade!

The rubber hatch can be substantial and lasts from mid morning until dusk, so fish early if you want any solitude.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

CSJ

Post by CSJ » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm

I like to fish the area where you will be staying. I often wade upriver from Rio until I get to those cabins and have caught a few nice sized bass along that stretch but as already stated, you have to get out very early because of the tubers.