Fishing on the Guadalupe on Mother's Day

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Jimbo Roberts

Fishing on the Guadalupe on Mother's Day

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 11, 2009 10:57 am

Like I have said before, with the water in the tailrace Trout fishery heating up I am letting it rest till the fall. It's high time to explore, fish, and enjoy some of our other Hill Country Rivers. And with that in mind, I met Ron, Roger, and Alex to fish the upper Guadalupe River. And it could not be more appropriate that on Mother's Day we are fishing the river named after the Virgin Mary. We met up and cruised to a low water crossing that Ron knows well.....
The good water starts downstream. We waded on down through the classic Cypress Tunnels that characterizes portions of the Guadalupe in the Hill Country.....
This is water that is best fished with short flyrods and I think we were all sporting our stubby sticks. The river opens up as we move downstream. Still it is not what you would call wide and we shared the water picking sides and dividing the center.....
Of course we are after our native Bass and Perch that abound in this river. This is the first fishing trip using my new Pentax W60 and I am quite happy that I am now sporting a waterproof camera. Although I must say I am still a bit hesitant to stick in below the surface of the water and snap a few. Maybe next time. Now these bass are generally smaller than you would expect to catch in impoundments, but we are after the experience and not world records.....
Our Longear Sunfish, which each of our Hill Country rivers holds, are of a slightly different variation in color and markings in each basin.....
The senery is a pleasure unto itself and everywhere you look there is a natural beauty that makes you stop and marvel at the wonder of it all.....
Ron with another average Bass caught in these waters.....
Ron and Alex working downstream through the many pools and runs.....
When you use a sinking line to work the bottoms of the troughs and pools, you are bound to hang up and lose a few flys. Now if you need both hands and teeth to tie on another fly and you are standing in the middle of the river with a lit cigar, What are you going to do?????
Ron is a resourceful man and all his equipment is well thought out with secondary uses.....
And what is the favorite food of these Hill Country Bass?????
Well of course it is !!!!!
We kept fishing downstream, enjoying each others company and conversation, as well as the fishing.....
Of course everyone who has seen me fish these rivers knows that I will fishing topwater flys all day if I can
and I still managed to catch my fair share of the Red Eyes this day.....
My largest bass of the day. I was glad it wasn't a 5 lber as I don't think my recovering Tennis Elbow would have liked more stress than Bass of this size still managed to apply up the line and through my rod.....
It was a great day fishing along at an unhurried pace, just us, the fish, and the river all in tune.
Jimbo
Last edited by Jimbo Roberts on Mon May 11, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Argyros

Post by Alex Argyros » Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 pm

It was indeed a wonderful day. Gorgeous surroundings and great fishing buddies.

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Mon May 11, 2009 1:47 pm

One of my favorite crossings in all of Texas, and haven't fished it since last April with Norm Crisp and Duane Brandt.
here's the typical bass with Jimbo in the back
Jimbo hooked up early
decent bluegill, and good shot of the cypress roots
I love this grotto behind Alex
there are some long riffles in this stretch and several flagstone pools where pods of bass will cruise up from the holes onto the flats to feed.
More than a couple of fish were sight-fishing for me.
Jimbo doing well in a cypress tunnel
another average bass - Texas brook trout
you can see why I love this place
I had about 40 bass for the day, and this was probably my best - just right for a soft glass rod - you need one of these for your tennis elbow, Jimbo
pretty place
and need to get a photo of Roger up here
Ron Mc

stiles

Post by stiles » Mon May 11, 2009 4:44 pm

That JLH looks pretty sweet, Ron. How did it do?

~~~ ><Ǽ>

daleconnally

Post by daleconnally » Mon May 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Jimbo, what you fishing with? Resembled a TFO Finesse seat but that can't be right. Looks like a great day! Dale

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 pm

Great pictures Ron!
Yeap that is a TFO Finesse 7'9" 5wt. It's my go to short rod for fishing these tight Hill Country Rivers. I consider it to be on the slower side which comes in handy when you don't have much line out or there is not much room and you have to rollcast. And believe it or not I am having a short 5wt. bamboo rod built. I am trying to learn to appreciate more traditional rods and tapers.
Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 am

stiles wrote:That JLH looks pretty sweet, Ron. How did it do?
It's a great reel, Pete - just right for this fishing.
It was a little outclassed when I fished private water on Hondo Creek at Tarpley last month. and so was the Water Witch
So on that trip, I broke out my big guns - Japanese parabolic glass, Izch 8667 with Young Revolution reel
Ron Mc

stiles

Post by stiles » Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 am

I almost pulled the trigger on a JLH recently, but opted for a Battenkill 3/4 click-paw to save a few bucks. One day I'm gonna buy one...

~~~ ><Ǽ>

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 am

the Water Witch is a surprisingly light glass rod, and the little JLH is a perfect match for it.
Battenkill 3/4 is a great reel, too.
Image Image
this has the same click-pawl that is in the Cascapedia 2/3/4
Ron Mc

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 pm

I was admiring th JLH the other day while we were fishing. It is indeed a handsome reel! I remember seeing these Hardys many years ago and thinking that they would be a nice addition to my collection. I must have not been lucky at the tables for a very long time (the way I financed my flyfishing back then), because I never got around to buying one. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Tue May 12, 2009 12:39 pm

it also matches the bright yellow seat on the Water Witch better than any other reel I've tried.
Ron Mc

shane cavitt

Post by shane cavitt » Tue May 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Looks like a great section to fish and that fun was had by all. Thanks for sharing with us.

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 am

I am glad you guys had a great time. Now I am dying to hit the hill country. I will this Saturday for sure! Jimbo, I am glad to see you back in the water where you belong. And to the other guys, well I guess they know what they are doing. Great pics dudes!
TW

EdN

Post by EdN » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 pm

Jimbo, TFO refers to the Finesse 5/6 glass rod so since you were fishing poppers, I presume you were using a floating line but was it a 5 or 6 wt. and have you tried both weights with it?
EdN
When the going gets tough, the tough go fishing!

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sun May 17, 2009 12:38 am

It's not the glass rod they make. This one I bought three years ago and it is a grahite rod. I am not a big fan of fiberglass. Then again I have not cast any of these new S-Glass flyrods. Now don't get me wrong, I certainly don't disapprove, I've had them in the past but I much prefer a faster action grahite rod. I do have some older slower grahite rods (HMG class 1) that are at best medium-fast and also several Sage Light Line (Slow) models. But day in and day out I like fast action grahite rods like the XP and Z-Axis.
But when fishing in tight places, like the Cypress Tunnels of the Upper Guadalupe, the slower, softer, and shorter rods are necessary. Casts are generally close and need to be very precise. If you can't lay your bug in a spot the size of a soft ball, you will miss many opportunities in this pocket rich enviroment.
Jimbo