buffallo national river, Arkansas

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

darylm

buffallo national river, Arkansas

Post by darylm » Mon May 04, 2009 8:38 am

I have a friend who's going on a canoe / camping trip for 4 days on the buffallo national river in northern Arkansas. I was wondering if any of you have ever fished for smallmouth bass there before? If so, what types of flies work well. He'll be leaving in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the help!
God Bless, Daryl

rivergeek

Post by rivergeek » Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Just returned from 5 days on the Buffalo. It was really high water most of the time so I only got to paddle 2 out of 5 days. We hiked the Ozarks on the days we couldn't paddle. The water was murky at best when I was on the water, so the fly rod didn't get much action. Last year about this time I had pretty good success with #10-12 bh woolly buggers, hares ear nymphs, flashy streamers. Caught SMB and sunfishes. Here are a few pix...
Rich Grayson

The Buffalo between Kyle's Landing and Pruitt

The Buffalo at Ponca low water bridge (24" over, river closed)

The Buffalo at Steel Creek

darylm

Post by darylm » Mon May 11, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply. River looks beautiful. This will be good info for him and the group he's going with. Hopefully the river will come down over the next 2 wks.
God Bless, Daryl

maxh

Post by maxh » Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

I was about to post for some info on the Buffalo when I saw this thread. I'm considering a trip there in the fall. Are there any helpful websites with discussion forums for fishing in that part of Arkansas? Do you know of any good fly shops there?
Thanks,
Max