North Texas Neighborhood Ponds

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

mickmcco
Site Admin

North Texas Neighborhood Ponds

Post by mickmcco » Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 pm

For months, I've been driving by a neighborhood near my home with three big ponds/lakes in the a central square in the development. They are squared off (to fit the roads and sidewalks,) shallow, each has a fountain in the middle, and there are "Catch and Release Fishing Only" and "No Swimming or Boating" signs in prominent display. Last summer I was biking by as some elderly pedestrians tossed out some bread to feed the local duck population. What caught my eye, though, were the huge swirls made by the resident catfish that proved faster than the ducks.

So today, unable to resist any longer, I headed over, armed with a four weight rod, clear intermediate line, and a small box of flies. Well, I never caught one of those big cats, but it was quite a day nevertheless. I did have one smaller cat succumb to one of my "bread flies" (large pearl estaz on a Gamakatsu saltwater hook).

Tired of casting to unresponsive whisker fish, I headed to one of the upper ponds and as I was harrassing (and catching) bluegill with a beadhead Crackleback, I noticed a big swirl along the bank. I switched to a chartreuse Clouser, cast along the rock bank, and was quickly attached to a sizable bass. A few minutes and several spirited runs later, I landed a bass of about four pounds. Venturing back down to the lower pond, I hooked and landed another that could have been her twin.

I ended the day with another spirited channel cat, still on the Clouser.

So I'll be back, and maybe I'll get one of those big cats next time.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

The Opportunistic Flyfisherman......
You have got to love Texas Ponds......
I haven't fished in 6 weeks.....
and I am about ready to fill the bathtub and give it a go!
Jimbo

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Mick,
I will be in Dallas next week. I35 and Northwest Freeway area. Any close fishing places?

david

mickmcco
Site Admin

Post by mickmcco » Sat May 02, 2009 6:00 pm

I've only lived here a short while, and have done no exploration down that direction, so I'm not the one to ask. Post your question on the Texas Fishing Forum or the Texas Fly Report for more intelligent answers.
Mickfly
Fish Friendly - Life's too short not to enjoy every minute on the river.

d ayer

Post by d ayer » Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks Mick.

david