The Clouser strikes again....

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

Coconut Groves

The Clouser strikes again....

Post by Coconut Groves » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 pm

I went out for some striper fishing over the weekend and this was the first fish of the night:

This was caught on a 1/0 clouser, 8wt with full sinking head line. The bass hit it within 2 feet of the surface, so the sink line wasn't even a factor. We weren't seeing any fish on the surface. I laid out my first cast and 3 fish came right up to the fly, but the action wasn't right to get them to eat. So on my second cast this biggin came up out of nowhere. I didn't have time to react to the size because I was more concerned with tricking the fish into eating. It zoomed up underneath, then paused, but I put a few fast strips to the fly that the fish couldn't resist.

While it was fun catching this beast, it was also killer to watch it slowly swim off after I released it.
"Strip... Strip... Strip...... Fish On!"

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Man what a HOG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did you weigh or take measurements of the Bass?
May I ask where you were fishing?
Jimbo

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:10 pm

The fish was pushing 24" - I measured with a fish ruler we have on the boat. I did not measure girth. I don't have a scale either, but it was heavy!

This was at a "secret spot" on Lake Travis. I joke, it isn't so secret, we see spin and bait fisherman out there. But we've had boats pull up near us with conventional gear and not catch a thing while we are hauling in fish. We've been asked " you are fly fishing at night?" And "there are 20 mph winds and you fly fishing at night?" Pretty funny.

John M. White

Post by John M. White » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Nice! Way to go. Reminds me of my old bass fishing days. Would be awesome on a fly.
Thanks,

John Michael

Fine Art Nature, Wildlife, & Sporting Photography, visit: www.johnmwhitephotography.com .

bledorange3

The Clouser strikes again

Post by bledorange3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

:D Coconut Groves,That is "The One"!Congrats!It always amazes me that people think someone can't catch big fish on a fly!I am a fly fishing addict!I can't get enough of it!

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 pm

I used to fish Travis when I lived in Austin in the 70's and 80's. We were fun fishing most of the time and I loved the fact that you could fish topwater all day and catch fish. The biggest bass I ever landed there was about 6lbs and yours must be at least 10lbs. Looks like all those Florida Strain Bass have taken hold there. Congratulations again, that is a fine Bass!
Jimbo

TrentW

Post by TrentW » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:26 am

Wow! That guy is a monster. He must have been lifting weights on the bottom. :shock:

Coconut Groves

Post by Coconut Groves » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:52 am

Jimbo - the two largest black bass I've caught have been at Lake Travis. My first was 8 pounds, and I estimated this one to be 10 pounds or so.

I've seen large fish before on Travis become interested in my fly, but getting them to eat is another story. As they say, "They don't get that large because they are stupid." :)

This one took a little tricking into eating, but I also think there was a bit of their territorial nature in play as well. My first cast several fish came to the fly, but this big one was not one of them. In fact, this fish wasn't in view yet. It wasn't until I recasted that the fish appeared. So it could have been reacting to the other fishing feeding and decided to take a look.

I will say that I saw schools of largemouths feeding on the surface that night. Jumping, chasing, and feeding together. That isn't something very common with largemouths that I've seen. This allowed us to sight cast to them, which is always a blast.

pav

Post by pav » Sat May 02, 2009 11:06 am

WOW
put off everything to go flyfishing