Help Me Choose a Boat

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: dlcole, LabRat

eric_burnett

Post by eric_burnett » Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 pm

I'll second the Skykomish. I have had mine for 3 years and love it. I hope to use it this weekend actually. I have used the craft on waters as large as Fayetteville Lake near Bastrop.

I weigh in a an athletic 242 (by athletic I mean sumo), and it is very stable for standing and casting.

The only issues are on windy days where a nice drift sock and/or small anchor is very handy.

I have also found that a pair of flippers is handy so that you can use your feet as a rudder and add extra propulsion when on the oars. This is the best bet for stillwater fishing.

If you really want to upgrade, the metal deck behind the seat is beefy enough to add a trolling motor.

The only disadvantage from a kayak would be if you want to add some permanent mounts for GPS or other electronics.

Hope that helps.

ballard6449

Post by ballard6449 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:02 pm

Has anyone tried out a NuCanoe? It's a hybrid (Kayak/Canoe) and looks kinda nice and versatile.

ballard6449

Post by ballard6449 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Has anyone tried out a NuCanoe? It's a hybrid (Kayak/Canoe) and looks kinda nice and versatile.

ballard6449

Post by ballard6449 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

Has anyone tried out a NuCanoe? It's a hybrid and looks pretty versatile.

ballard6449

Post by ballard6449 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Sorry for the repeated posts. Not exactly sure how I managed that feat.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am

ballard6449 wrote:Has anyone tried out a NuCanoe? It's a hybrid and looks pretty versatile.
They look quite appealing to me too- should work well for one or two, and the big deck would be especially perfect if you want to take the dog out with you.

The main downside I see is the weight, nearly 90lbs. Could make car-topping problematic. I was also thinking its drift-boaty shape would make it perfect for floating the Guad, but a Graham named Scott pointed out to me that riverbed tears up polyethylene amazingly fast.
I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer, and I practice moderation in moderation.

pontoonman

Post by pontoonman » Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 am

Low weight wins the game for the skinny waters we have around here, especially with the drought lately. Have even used my 6' inflatable pontoon (30# tricked out) on the wading flats at the coast when the wind is down or blocked off by overpasses, etc. Even the upper Guad at Rebecca gives advantage to kayaks and pontoons over motorboats which can't get by the stumps very easily. Bigger is less, even at the big lakes due to wait times at the few open ramps in this area.

Pon

portalto

Post by portalto » Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Great discussion . The bottom line is there is no one craft. If you are going to fish often and varied waters you need variety of crafts. I have settled on an Ultimate 12 for Central Texas Rivers and Rocky Mountain Lakes,ie Spinney Reservoir ,the lakes of Grand Mesa,etc.
At the coast it is all about the wind. I am lucky to own a micro skiff that floats in no water at all and can go virtually anywhere.
After owning float tubes, pontoons, many kayaks this is what I have settled on. Half the fun is trying them all out and deciding which is best for you and the way you fish and enjoy the water.

ballard6449

Post by ballard6449 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:14 am

I went and paddled a NuCanoe yesterday in the San Marcos. I'm a big, strong guy and that thing is HEAVY. Car topping it is definitely a two person job. It is roomy and stable; however, I did not like the way it paddled/tracked. It is so wide. I used a 240cm paddle and still it was not easy to make it do what I wanted it to do. I see some uses for it, but it does not meet my needs for a big, easy paddling boat for the rivers and a little coastal trip every now and then.

I do have to say that the folks at TG Canoe and Kayak in San Marcos are top notch. Knowledgeable, friendly and fair. They hauled me down and let me row a couple 'a three boats in the river (just about 1/4 mile from the shop). If you're in the market it's worth giving them a shout. They carry just about everything in yaks and canoes and help you find the one you're looking for. I know sounds like a "paid advertisement" but I enjoyed dealing with them.

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat May 09, 2009 7:32 pm

For me it's time to get out on my Wilderness Whitewater Tarpon 120. I bought the shorter lenght specifically for fishing the Hill Country Rivers. It's not as stable as some for pure fishing, but you can get used to it. I can still remember my old Square-Ender Grumman Canoe I used to have. It was a 17'+ and was fairly wide. It was so stable it was nothing to stand up in it and fish all day. Now it was really a two man affair. When fishing by myself it was a hand-full to maneuver. But it was so big, that I would not think twice about loading it down with two anglers, 100's of extra pounds of fishing gear, a trolling motor and battery, and go fish the bigger lakes. We even got caught running from a storm on Fayette County, 40mph+ winds, driving rain, lightning, surfing back on waves in the 4-5' range and brought everything home. But that one ran away from home one year, and this Tarpon 120 that I have today is a nice solo substitute.
Jimbo