Bald Eagle on the Guadalupe

Non-Trout pursuits

Moderators: LabRat, dlcole

becpa

Bald Eagle on the Guadalupe

Post by becpa » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:59 am

I got this picture Thursday afternoon around Mo Ranch. As I was sloshing around in the water, I looked up and saw a Bald Eagle watching me from about 200 yards. I got off a couple of snaps, and then I either scared it or it decided to leave. It flew majestically due west up the riverbed and lit about 400 yards away. The terrain is rugged, so I jumped in the truck to see what I could see from the highway. I drove west, and gave up after about two miles when the brush got even thicker. I turned around spotted two more eagles soaring across the valley. It was probably the mate and a fledgling, but they were too far to get detail with the naked eye.

They will be around several more weeks, and then they will migrate.

pav

Post by pav » Sat May 02, 2009 11:10 am

You could make out the white head. I think there is a mexican variety and it had a brown spot on the top of its head.
put off everything to go flyfishing

becpa

Post by becpa » Sat May 02, 2009 5:06 pm

There is no way to tell. The picture is not the best. I was not prepared and left the long lense at home.

Also, the west sun was behind the bird, making it even more difficult to get detail. It was probably a Golden Eagle.

My friends say eagles are plentiful in this area, just not publicized.

There is already enough people pollution with the bike riders thundering through the hills.

I will know where to go next spring.

Bill

Jimbo Roberts

Post by Jimbo Roberts » Sat May 02, 2009 11:40 pm

I have seen Bald Eagles many times this year on the river. It is the first time I have seen Bald Eagles on the river in decades. I am not really sure why they came this year, but they are there. There are many raptors commonly seen on the river: Osprey, Red Tailed Hawks, and Owls, but Bald Eagles on the Guadalupe are relatively rare. I know because I have been looking at things other than just the strike indicator. Jimbo

Ron Mc

Post by Ron Mc » Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 am

We had one on the tailwater this winter - I saw it several times.
I also saw one in the fall a few years ago around Waring.
Ron Mc

bhigdon

Post by bhigdon » Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Skinny water buffet..............